Network with Windows ME computer? - Networking

This is a discussion on Network with Windows ME computer? - Networking ; Right now I have one computer that uses Windows ME. Since it's a work computer and soon to be retired (I can't wait!) I still have to make it work in my network. So, since I wanted to be able ...

+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: Network with Windows ME computer?

  1. Network with Windows ME computer?

    Right now I have one computer that uses Windows ME. Since it's a work
    computer and soon to be retired (I can't wait!) I still have to make it
    work in my network. So, since I wanted to be able to back up files to my
    Ubuntu computer, I tried to get ME to access the shares. At first it just
    gave me an input for a password, no user name. And, no matter what
    password I typed in there, it wouldn't accept it. So, I set up a user in
    the Windows ME system and the same user in Ubuntu. I set the smb
    password using the sudo smbpasswd command. I re-logged into the ME
    computer using that user name and password. When I then tried to access
    the shares in Ubuntu, I got a message that the password expired!
    Arghhhhhh!

    I know this might be a question for the windows ME NG, but has anyone run
    across this sort of thing before? All my XP computers play real nice with
    the Ubuntu one. Only the ME computer (which I can't get rid of
    soon enough!) gives me problems.

    Thanks so much.

    Patty

  2. Re: Network with Windows ME computer?

    Patty wrote:
    > Right now I have one computer that uses Windows ME. Since it's a work
    > computer and soon to be retired (I can't wait!) I still have to make it
    > work in my network. So, since I wanted to be able to back up files to my
    > Ubuntu computer, I tried to get ME to access the shares.


    That's always been a problem. Google's got lots of hits on this.
    Something like this should help:
    http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/samba...k/ch03_01.html

    Or -- just set up the Openssh server on Ubuntu, and use WinSCP (it's an
    (s)ftp client) for Windows to transfer your files to the Ubuntu PC.
    http://winscp.net/eng/docs/introduction


    --
    As we enjoy great advantages from inventions of others, we should be
    glad of an opportunity to serve others by any invention of ours;
    and this we should do freely and generously.
    --Benjamin Franklin
    (remove _eh to email)

  3. Re: Network with Windows ME computer?

    johnny bobby bee wrote:

    > Patty wrote:
    >> Right now I have one computer that uses Windows ME. Since it's a
    >> work computer and soon to be retired (I can't wait!) I still have
    >> to make it
    >> work in my network. So, since I wanted to be able to back up files
    >> to my Ubuntu computer, I tried to get ME to access the shares.

    >
    > That's always been a problem. Google's got lots of hits on this.
    > Something like this should help:
    > http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/samba...k/ch03_01.html
    >
    > Or -- just set up the Openssh server on Ubuntu, and use WinSCP (it's
    > an (s)ftp client) for Windows to transfer your files to the Ubuntu
    > PC. http://winscp.net/eng/docs/introduction
    >


    I tried fooling with some settings in WindowsME but gave up on it all.
    Not worth all the bother for the few months I'll still need to use
    this system. I'll just back up to one of the XP systems when I need
    to. Thanks.

    Patty

  4. Re: Network with Windows ME computer?

    On Wednesday 16 May 2007 03:16, Patty wrote:

    > I know this might be a question for the windows ME NG, but has anyone
    > run
    > across this sort of thing before? All my XP computers play real nice
    > with
    > the Ubuntu one. Only the ME computer (which I can't get rid of
    > soon enough!) gives me problems.


    Get WinSCP from the net.
    I will allow you to run copies, just like the SCP tools, only with a
    graphical interface. With it, you should be able to connect to a Linux
    machine and copy your files.

    It(s a bit slow (actually, a lot), but if it's only the once-in-a-lifetime
    copy...

    PS: I never tried WinSCP in Win ME. You're on your own. :-)



    --
    Research is what I'm doing, when I don't know what I'm doing.
    (von Braun)


  5. Re: Network with Windows ME computer?

    Patty wrote:
    > computer using that user name and password. When I then tried to access
    > the shares in Ubuntu, I got a message that the password expired!
    > Arghhhhhh!


    You need to apply the plain password registry key. I have some notes for
    Windows '95, but you will need to Google for the Microsoft Windows ME registry
    key, because it is not the same and the Windows '95 key will not work.

    http://markhobley.yi.org/linux/samba/index.html

    Regards,

    Mark.

    --
    Mark Hobley
    393 Quinton Road West
    QUINTON
    Birmingham
    B32 1QE

    Email: markhobley at hotpop dot donottypethisbit com

    http://markhobley.yi.org/


+ Reply to Thread