need help.. about local dns? - Networking

This is a discussion on need help.. about local dns? - Networking ; What I want to do is... I have one desktop with windows XP XP has VMware workstation several linux is running on vmware so... windows: 192.168.0.10 linux1: 192.168.0.11 linux2: 192.168.0.12 .. .. those IPs are assigned by router And router ...

  1. need help.. about local dns?

    What I want to do is...

    I have one desktop with windows XP
    XP has VMware workstation
    several linux is running on vmware

    so...
    windows: 192.168.0.10
    linux1: 192.168.0.11
    linux2: 192.168.0.12
    ..
    ..
    those IPs are assigned by router
    And router has real IP address
    sean.homeip.com is domain name for router IP

    From out of home--
    When I want to connect to specific linux, I need to change forwarding
    address in router configuration page.
    Then I can ssh (ssh sean.homeip.com) to linux that I want to login

    My idea is that forwarding is always point to one linux1
    and that linux1 is responsible for forwading traffics to sepecific linux
    by domain name.
    --> linux2.sean.homeip.com
    or sean.homeip.com/linux2

    Where can I start?

    Thanks in advance

    Sean

  2. Re: need help.. about local dns?

    Sean Kim wrote:
    > What I want to do is...
    >
    > I have one desktop with windows XP
    > XP has VMware workstation
    > several linux is running on vmware
    >
    > so...
    > windows: 192.168.0.10
    > linux1: 192.168.0.11
    > linux2: 192.168.0.12

    > My idea is that forwarding is always point to one linux1
    > and that linux1 is responsible for forwading traffics to sepecific linux
    > by domain name.
    > --> linux2.sean.homeip.com
    > or sean.homeip.com/linux2

    ssh don't send request headers, so the the server is unaware of the ip-name
    that the client used.

    Wouldn't it be easier to just ssh from the linux you has the forward to to the
    other linux? Then you don't have to do anything at all.

    Another thing you can do if you want direct connect to the linuxes over ssh,
    is to run ssh on an alternative port

    linux1: port 22 and 6021
    linux2: port 22 and 6022
    linux3: port 22 and 6023
    and so on

    Then you do a port forward, so that port 6021 is forwarded to linux1, port
    6022 is forwarded to linux2, 6023 is forwarded to linux3 and so on, from the
    router.

    Then when you can connect to the linux install you wish directly, eg
    ssh -p 6022 sean.homeip.com

    And at home, you can use both
    ssh linux2
    and
    ssh -p 6022 linux2

    --

    //Aho

  3. Re: need help.. about local dns?

    On Tue, 15 May 2007, J.O. Aho wrote:

    > Sean Kim wrote:
    >> What I want to do is...
    >>
    >> I have one desktop with windows XP
    >> XP has VMware workstation
    >> several linux is running on vmware
    >>
    >> so...
    >> windows: 192.168.0.10
    >> linux1: 192.168.0.11
    >> linux2: 192.168.0.12

    >> My idea is that forwarding is always point to one linux1
    >> and that linux1 is responsible for forwading traffics to sepecific linux
    >> by domain name.
    >> --> linux2.sean.homeip.com
    >> or sean.homeip.com/linux2

    > ssh don't send request headers, so the the server is unaware of the ip-name
    > that the client used.
    >

    > Wouldn't it be easier to just ssh from the linux you has the forward to to the
    > other linux? Then you don't have to do anything at all.
    >
    > Another thing you can do if you want direct connect to the linuxes over ssh,
    > is to run ssh on an alternative port
    >
    > linux1: port 22 and 6021
    > linux2: port 22 and 6022
    > linux3: port 22 and 6023
    > and so on
    >
    > Then you do a port forward, so that port 6021 is forwarded to linux1, port
    > 6022 is forwarded to linux2, 6023 is forwarded to linux3 and so on, from the
    > router.
    >
    > Then when you can connect to the linux install you wish directly, eg
    > ssh -p 6022 sean.homeip.com
    >
    > And at home, you can use both
    > ssh linux2
    > and
    > ssh -p 6022 linux2

    If you have control over the "homeip.com" domain, you can add a number of
    CNAMES that point to sean.homeip.com and then use the ssh config file to
    make each of these CNAMES associated with a different port number. For
    example, you create

    linux1.homeip.com CNAME sean.homeip.com
    linux2.homeip.com CNAME sean.homeip.com
    linux2.homeip.com CNAME sean.homeip.com