Recommend a laptop wireless card that just works? - Networking

This is a discussion on Recommend a laptop wireless card that just works? - Networking ; Well I've tried using Google and HOWTO files and a bunch of other resources before asking the question on the net - but is there any wireless card that will plug into a laptop, just work out of the box, ...

  1. Recommend a laptop wireless card that just works?

    Well I've tried using Google and HOWTO files and a bunch of other
    resources before asking the question on the net - but is there any
    wireless card that will plug into a laptop, just work out of the
    box, and is currently available? Everything I read seemed to talk
    about cards that you can't get anymore, and having to use a wrapper
    and the Windows driver, or recompile the kernel, or lots of other
    things that one should not have to do.
    --

    jhhaynes at earthlink dot net

  2. Re: Recommend a laptop wireless card that just works?

    On Mon, 14 May 2007 00:43:06 +0000, Jim Haynes wrote:

    > Well I've tried using Google and HOWTO files and a bunch of other
    > resources before asking the question on the net - but is there any
    > wireless card that will plug into a laptop, just work out of the
    > box, and is currently available? Everything I read seemed to talk
    > about cards that you can't get anymore, and having to use a wrapper
    > and the Windows driver, or recompile the kernel, or lots of other
    > things that one should not have to do.

    I use a Dlink WNA2330 H/W ver A1; F/W ver 1.0 ( it has an Atheros
    chipset). I plugged it into my laptop with ubuntu 6.06 and it worked 'out
    of the box' with mad-wifi (which was already installed). No muss, no fuss,
    no bother. I had previously used a Belkin (broadcomm chipset) card with
    ubuntu 5.10 - after the upgrade to 6.06 I could not get it to work - tried
    47 different recipes off the internet with ndiswrapped and the broadcomm
    driver.

  3. Re: Recommend a laptop wireless card that just works?

    For ubuntu, there's this:
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Wi...CardsSupported

    Jim Haynes wrote:
    > Well I've tried using Google and HOWTO files and a bunch of other
    > resources before asking the question on the net - but is there any
    > wireless card that will plug into a laptop, just work out of the
    > box, and is currently available? Everything I read seemed to talk
    > about cards that you can't get anymore, and having to use a wrapper
    > and the Windows driver, or recompile the kernel, or lots of other
    > things that one should not have to do.

    --Benjamin Franklin
    (remove _eh to email)

  4. Re: Recommend a laptop wireless card that just works?

    On 05/14/2007 06:13 AM, Jim Haynes wrote:
    > Well I've tried using Google and HOWTO files and a bunch of other
    > resources before asking the question on the net - but is there any
    > wireless card that will plug into a laptop, just work out of the
    > box, and is currently available? Everything I read seemed to talk
    > about cards that you can't get anymore, and having to use a wrapper
    > and the Windows driver, or recompile the kernel, or lots of other
    > things that one should not have to do.

    IMHO, If you have installed kernel sources, try searching code in the
    /usr/src/linux-/drivers/net/wireless/ for out-of-the-box
    supported wireless cards, though howsoever obsolete these may be.

    I for one would prefer Intel's PRO/Wireless 2200 for PCI/Mini-PCI slots
    or ZyDAS's ZD1201 based cards for USB interfaces.

    OTOH, If you somehow manage to compile madwifi/madwifi-ng drivers for
    Linux, the cards based on Atheros's chipsets are the best otherwise.

    Last, but not the least, plz don't buy cards based Realtek's RTL8180
    and, or RTL8185; although the Open Source (GPLed) drivers for these are
    available, but no one is actively working on these not even the Realtek
    people and, or me

    Anu'z Linux@HOME Machines: #168573, 170593, 259192
    Chandigarh, UT, 160062, India Gentoo, Fedora, Debian/FreeBSD/XP