user level TCP implementation - Networking

This is a discussion on user level TCP implementation - Networking ; Does anyone know of a user level implementation of the TCP stack for Linux? Thanks!...

  1. user level TCP implementation

    Does anyone know of a user level implementation of the TCP stack for
    Linux?

    Thanks!

  2. Re: user level TCP implementation

    On May 13, 2:39 pm, sumati wrote:
    > Does anyone know of a user level implementation of the TCP stack for
    > Linux?
    >
    > Thanks!

    Why do you need an user level TCP stack in a production system. With
    gigabit speeds available, there will be large number of context
    switches and hence TLB flushes which will degrade the performance of
    the system. The only reason I can think of for having user level TCP
    stack is for stack to be available all the time (if it crashes, "init"
    will start it again) and upgrading stack without kernel reboot.Though
    I still strongly feel all the I/O (whether network, file etc) should
    be done in kernel.

    Here is one project that has implemented user level TCP/IP stack for
    Linux

    http://www.cs.northwestern.edu/~pdinda/minet/

    Thanks,
    Tejas Kokje