NetworkManager and DHCP - Networking

This is a discussion on NetworkManager and DHCP - Networking ; Hello Im using Ubuntu Desktop 7.04 Interface eth0 is set to get an IP via DHCP, but I dont want it to get any information about DNS servers, because im already running bind on my system and I have static ...

  1. NetworkManager and DHCP

    Hello

    Im using Ubuntu Desktop 7.04

    Interface eth0 is set to get an IP via DHCP, but I dont want it to get
    any information about DNS servers, because im already running bind on
    my system and I have static entries in named.conf

    So, I edited /etc/dhcp3/dhclient.conf so that the request line just
    got the bits i needed (everything except DNS servers) like this..

    request subnet-mask, broadcast-address, time-offset, routers;

    But now it turns out that my /etc/resolv.conf file is being
    overwritten by NetworkManager -- with empty entries.

    I had the nameserver set to the static IP of my second interface
    (eth1), but everytime I boot up NetworkManger overwrites this with
    blanks.

    Anyone know how to stop this from happening? I dont think I need
    NetworkManager running anyway, how do I disable it?

  2. Re: NetworkManager and DHCP

    Suk wrote:
    > Hello

    > Im using Ubuntu Desktop 7.04

    > Interface eth0 is set to get an IP via DHCP, but I dont want it to get
    > any information about DNS servers, because im already running bind on
    > my system and I have static entries in named.conf

    > So, I edited /etc/dhcp3/dhclient.conf so that the request line just
    > got the bits i needed (everything except DNS servers) like this..

    > request subnet-mask, broadcast-address, time-offset, routers;

    > But now it turns out that my /etc/resolv.conf file is being
    > overwritten by NetworkManager -- with empty entries.

    > I had the nameserver set to the static IP of my second interface
    > (eth1), but everytime I boot up NetworkManger overwrites this with
    > blanks.

    > Anyone know how to stop this from happening? I dont think I need
    > NetworkManager running anyway, how do I disable it?

    At the menu along the top of the screen, go to
    System->Preferences->Sessions. There you'll see, among other things,
    Network Manager. Uncheck or delete it. Now you should be able to set
    that machine's network stuff the old-fashioned way.

    --
    David Griffith