RJ45 extender + embedded Linux? - Networking

This is a discussion on RJ45 extender + embedded Linux? - Networking ; Hi I was wondering if such a thing exists: An embedded Linux in an RJ45 extender (coupler) that could be used either... - as a tiny firewall between a PC and a switch/hug, or - as an invisible proxy that ...

  1. RJ45 extender + embedded Linux?

    Hi

    I was wondering if such a thing exists: An embedded Linux in
    an RJ45 extender (coupler) that could be used either...
    - as a tiny firewall between a PC and a switch/hug, or
    - as an invisible proxy that can rewrite data on the fly?

    Ie. a cross between

    http://www.smarthomepro.com/images/8625.jpg

    and

    Thanks for any info.

  2. Re: RJ45 extender + embedded Linux?

    On Thu, 10 May 2007 06:36:45 +0200, Gilles Ganault rearranged some
    electrons to form:

    > Hi
    >
    > I was wondering if such a thing exists: An embedded Linux in
    > an RJ45 extender (coupler) that could be used either...
    > - as a tiny firewall between a PC and a switch/hug, or
    > - as an invisible proxy that can rewrite data on the fly?
    >
    > Ie. a cross between
    >
    > http://www.smarthomepro.com/images/8625.jpg
    >
    > and

    > Thanks for any info.

    Looks like the second link is what you want.

    --
    David M (dmacchiarolo)
    http://home.triad.rr.com/redsled

  3. Re: RJ45 extender + embedded Linux?

    On Thu, 10 May 2007 04:07:53 -0400, David M wrote:
    >Looks like the second link is what you want.

    Not exactly, because it has an RJ45 on one end, but a serial port on
    the other. I was thinking of a coupler with a Linux in-between, to act
    either as a firewall or a transparent proxy to rewrite data.

  4. Re: RJ45 extender + embedded Linux?

    Gilles Ganault wrote:
    > On Thu, 10 May 2007 04:07:53 -0400, David M wrote:
    >> Looks like the second link is what you want.

    > Not exactly, because it has an RJ45 on one end, but a serial port on
    > the other. I was thinking of a coupler with a Linux in-between, to act
    > either as a firewall or a transparent proxy to rewrite data.

    The closest I can think of is a Technologic TS7300. Not quite what
    you're looking for probably.

    You can also look at Gumstix - they have ethernet modules; I don't know
    if you can stack them.

  5. Re: RJ45 extender + embedded Linux?

    "Gilles Ganault" skrev i meddelandet
    newss7543hfv66ftkiu0vjt9ok3mv5hqb6c1c@4ax.com...
    > Hi
    >
    > I was wondering if such a thing exists: An embedded Linux in
    > an RJ45 extender (coupler) that could be used either...
    > - as a tiny firewall between a PC and a switch/hug, or
    > - as an invisible proxy that can rewrite data on the fly?
    >
    > Ie. a cross between
    >
    > http://www.smarthomepro.com/images/8625.jpg
    >
    > and

    > Thanks for any info.

    The AVR32 Gateway Reference Design has two RJ-45 connectors
    and runs Embedded Linux. Sells for $69 single qty.
    You need power supply and a box...
    Linux Source is downloadable from www.atmel.com.

    --
    Best Regards,
    Ulf Samuelsson

  6. Re: RJ45 extender + embedded Linux?

    On Fri, 11 May 2007 08:18:37 +0200, "Ulf Samuelsson"
    wrote:
    >The AVR32 Gateway Reference Design has two RJ-45 connectors
    >and runs Embedded Linux. Sells for $69 single qty.

    Thanks guys for the input. With PoE now available, I'm surprised that
    this type of tiny firewall isn't available.

+ Reply to Thread