Hi,
Im doin a project on DHCp client-server setup. i have to use RAW
sockets in the code for this. The call is
sock = socket(PF_PACKET, SOCK_RAW, htons((short)ETH_P_ALL).
The code compiles but when i try to start the Dhcp client, I get an
error saying "Make sure CONFIG_PACKET and CONFIG_FILTER is enabled". I
tried to build the kernel using a source tree. I found CONFIG_PACKET=y
but didnt find CONFIG_FILTER. So i added a line CONFIG_FILTER=y. I got
the foll error
Heres a full snapshot of the error :
bash-3.1# make
HOSTLD scripts/kconfig/conf
scripts/kconfig/conf -s arch/i386/Kconfig
..config:384:warning: trying to assign nonexistent symbol FILTER
#
# configuration written to .config
#
CHK include/linux/version.h
UPD include/linux/version.h
CHK include/linux/utsrelease.h
UPD include/linux/utsrelease.h
SYMLINK include/asm -> include/asm-i386
ln: creating symbolic link `include/asm' to `asm-i386': Operation not
permitted
make: *** [include/asm] Error 1
bash-3.1#

I read that CONFIG_FILTER is disabled in 2.6.x Hence i used a package
from netfilter.org
http://www.netfilter.org/projects/l...ueue/index.html
When i run the DHCP client, i get the foll messages :
May 6 13:33:20 localhost dhclient: socket: Invalid argument - make
sure
May 6 13:33:20 localhost dhclient: CONFIG_PACKET (Packet socket) and
CONFIG_FILTER
May 6 13:33:20 localhost dhclient: (Socket Filtering) are enabled in
your kernel
May 6 13:33:20 localhost dhclient: configuration!
May 6 13:33:20 localhost dhclient:

So does this mean, filtering is enabled and i can run my project?

Pls help
Thanks in advance