Windows AD users in linux ? - Networking

This is a discussion on Windows AD users in linux ? - Networking ; Hi, I think this is fairly straightforward issue but I havent been able to solve it. I have Windows users and I have this linux box. Using samba I was able to let the AD users access stuff from linux ...

  1. Windows AD users in linux ?

    Hi,
    I think this is fairly straightforward issue but I havent been able
    to solve it. I have Windows users and I have this linux box. Using
    samba I was able to let the AD users access stuff from linux box but
    every time some user A writes a file, user B has no right to over
    right it. I am trying to figure out what I need to change so that user
    A and user B has the same exact rights over the a file created by
    either user.

    Any help is appreciated.

  2. Re: Windows AD users in linux ?

    Subrato wrote:
    > Hi,
    > I think this is fairly straightforward issue but I havent been able
    > to solve it. I have Windows users and I have this linux box. Using
    > samba I was able to let the AD users access stuff from linux box but
    > every time some user A writes a file, user B has no right to over
    > right it. I am trying to figure out what I need to change so that user
    > A and user B has the same exact rights over the a file created by
    > either user.
    >
    > Any help is appreciated.

    'man permissions' = put those users in a group that has rw permissions
    to each other files. Linux IS very configurable and can be mucked-up to
    resemble 'The other OS', when expertly castrated. Then why use Linux if
    you don't use its advantages?

    HTH

    Stanislaw.

    '

  3. Re: Windows AD users in linux ?

    Subrato wrote:
    > Hi,
    > I think this is fairly straightforward issue but I havent been able
    > to solve it. I have Windows users and I have this linux box. Using
    > samba I was able to let the AD users access stuff from linux box but
    > every time some user A writes a file, user B has no right to over
    > right it. I am trying to figure out what I need to change so that user
    > A and user B has the same exact rights over the a file created by
    > either user.
    >
    > Any help is appreciated.

    read up on smb.conf. You can configure default r/w permissions for the
    samba share.

  4. Re: Windows AD users in linux ?

    On May 4, 6:55 pm, CptDondo wrote:
    > Subrato wrote:
    > > Hi,
    > > I think this is fairly straightforward issue but I havent been able
    > > to solve it. I haveWindowsusers and I have thislinuxbox. Using
    > > samba I was able to let theADusers access stuff fromlinuxbox but
    > > every time some user A writes a file, user B has no right to over
    > > right it. I am trying to figure out what I need to change so that user
    > > A and user B has the same exact rights over the a file created by
    > > either user.

    > > Any help is appreciated.

    > read up on smb.conf. You can configure default r/wpermissionsfor the
    > samba share.

    Thanks CptDondo,
    I have tried looking up that info and either I am not able to locate
    what you are saying or its not there. I would really appreciate if you
    could send me the link to it. I can give you my smb.conf if that might
    help you to tell what I am missing from the configuration to make it r/
    w for all users.

    Subrato

  5. Re: Windows AD users in linux ?

    On May 4, 12:52 pm, Subrato wrote:
    > Hi,
    > I think this is fairly straightforward issue but I havent been able
    > to solve it. I have Windows users and I have this linux box. Using
    > samba I was able to let the AD users access stuff from linux box but
    > every time some user A writes a file, user B has no right to over
    > right it. I am trying to figure out what I need to change so that user
    > A and user B has the same exact rights over the a file created by
    > either user.
    >
    > Any help is appreciated.

    There are at least two fundamentally different ways to do this and you
    need to choose one. One way is to have the files be created as the
    same user. The other way is to create the files with permissions such
    that a group that both user A and user B are in has permissions to
    overwrite the files.

    DS

+ Reply to Thread