shares not listing on Linux NFS client - Networking

This is a discussion on shares not listing on Linux NFS client - Networking ; Hello, When our Linux NFS/NIS clients try to list mounted shares from our Solaris NFS/NIS server, no items are returned. If you know the name of the directory/share, you can change to it and after that, it will list until ...

  1. shares not listing on Linux NFS client

    Hello,

    When our Linux NFS/NIS clients try to list mounted shares from our
    Solaris NFS/NIS server, no items are returned. If you know the name of
    the directory/share, you can change to it and after that, it will list
    until it times out (60 seconds) and then the share is no longer
    visible again.

    This is not an issue for our Solaris NFS/NIS clients as they always
    list the shares, with the exception of our 'home' directories, which
    use the '-nobrowse' option on our 'auto.master' NIS map.

    Not a show stopper but annoying and not finding much on the web. Any
    suggestions?

    Thanks,

    Aaron

  2. Re: shares not listing on Linux NFS client

    savvysim@hotmail.com wrote:

    > Hello,
    >
    > When our Linux NFS/NIS clients try to list mounted shares

    > from our
    > Solaris NFS/NIS server, no items are returned. If you know the name of
    > the directory/share, you can change to it and after that, it will list
    > until it times out (60 seconds) and then the share is no longer
    > visible again.

    They are not mounted except on demand - it sounds like you are using an
    automounter, so assuming that is autofs (as opposed to amd) then
    add --ghost in the auto.master file.

    Here's one of my entries:

    /vol /etc/auto.vol --timeout=60 --ghost hard,intr,wsize=8192,rsize=8192,tcp

    > This is not an issue for our Solaris NFS/NIS clients as they always
    > list the shares, with the exception of our 'home' directories, which
    > use the '-nobrowse' option on our 'auto.master' NIS map.

    I would guess -nobrowse is the inverse of --ghost

    > Not a show stopper but annoying and not finding much on the web. Any
    > suggestions?

    HTH

    Tim

  3. Re: shares not listing on Linux NFS client

    Thanks Tim! That took care of it!

    Aaron

  4. Re: shares not listing on Linux NFS client

    savvysim@hotmail.com wrote:

    > Thanks Tim! That took care of it!
    >
    > Aaron

    No worries

    I would add, if yours is a large site (> few hundred clients) beware of
    doing this to every client.

    Certain "innocent" browsing operations on the parent directory (/vol) in my
    example by many GUI filemanagers will cause everything to get mounted,
    hammering your server(s).

    Rox, for example, does crazy crap like this (from an strace)

    lstat64("/vol/wwwsource/.DirIcon" ...
    lstat64("/vol/wwwsource/AppRun" ...

    I've seen gnome and/or kde do this, probably for similar reasons.

    It's OK if the server(s) is/are beefy or client activity is low, but given
    the wrong conditions, it can be bad news.

    Cheers

    Tim

+ Reply to Thread