SSH Exchange Identification - no connection - Networking

This is a discussion on SSH Exchange Identification - no connection - Networking ; I'm trying to get my slackware 10 machine to accept SSH over port 80. I changed the sshd conf file by uncommenting the #port 22 line and changing it to 80, and also enabled port 80 forwarding on my home ...

  1. SSH Exchange Identification - no connection

    I'm trying to get my slackware 10 machine to accept SSH over port 80. I
    changed the sshd conf file by uncommenting the #port 22 line and changing it
    to 80, and also enabled port 80 forwarding on my home NAT router wan IP to
    the static ip of the machine on the inside lan. I get the SSH exchange
    identification connection dropped by remote host when from the same
    computer, I try from lan to SSH by pointing ssh at the routers wan IP -p 80
    (essentially looping out and back in accross my nat router).

    What kind of things do I need to check to accept ssh on port 80? it seems
    like my forwarding works otherwise the ssh client wouldn't have gotten (what
    I assume is) my machine's active denial.

    Thanks

  2. Re: SSH Exchange Identification - no connection

    On Mon, 30 Apr 2007 17:35:44 -0400, J rearranged some electrons to form:

    > I'm trying to get my slackware 10 machine to accept SSH over port 80. I
    > changed the sshd conf file by uncommenting the #port 22 line and changing it
    > to 80, and also enabled port 80 forwarding on my home NAT router wan IP to
    > the static ip of the machine on the inside lan. I get the SSH exchange
    > identification connection dropped by remote host when from the same
    > computer, I try from lan to SSH by pointing ssh at the routers wan IP -p 80
    > (essentially looping out and back in accross my nat router).
    >
    > What kind of things do I need to check to accept ssh on port 80? it seems
    > like my forwarding works otherwise the ssh client wouldn't have gotten (what
    > I assume is) my machine's active denial.
    >
    > Thanks

    Do you have another process (ie. httpd) listening to port 80?

    --
    David M (dmacchiarolo)
    http://home.triad.rr.com/redsled

+ Reply to Thread