Networking problems with a 'doze laptop - Networking

This is a discussion on Networking problems with a 'doze laptop - Networking ; I NEVER, ever visit or post on 'doze groups, so I thought I'd try here first before resorting to that. My new laptop came with vista preinstalled on it, and it's still there because I've had a hell of a ...

  1. Networking problems with a 'doze laptop

    I NEVER, ever visit or post on 'doze groups, so I thought I'd try here
    first before resorting to that. My new laptop came with vista
    preinstalled on it, and it's still there because I've had a hell of a
    time resizing/adding new partitions for Linux. That's not why I'm
    posting, though.

    I've managed to get it to recognize my Linux boxes, but I'm having the
    craziest problems accessing/copying certain directories and files. For
    example, in one user's home directory (on Linux), I've shared the ENTIRE
    directory and all of its subdirectories--and from the 'doze box I can
    see ALL of them. However, attempting to access CERTAIN directories,
    such as .mozilla, yields an "access denied" error message. There
    doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to this! Other directories that
    start with a dot can be accessed just fine...while a few cannot--so it's
    not a matter of dot-named directories being inaccessible. They're ALL
    in the same user's home directory which was shared without stipulation
    as to certain directories being unreadable. So I don't get it.

    Also, when attempting to copy certain files--and they're all from the
    same directory (on the Linux box) and all have identical permissions
    (666)--I get this weird 'doze error message and the copy fails, while
    OTHER files copy without a hitch. (Sorry, I can't try it right now and
    I don't recall exactly what the message said.)

    Any ideas?

    --

    When will Micro$oft make something that doesn't suck?
    When they start making vacuum cleaners!

  2. Re: Networking problems with a 'doze laptop

    On Mon, 30 Apr 2007 18:29:39 +0000, WCJ wrote:

    > I NEVER, ever visit or post on 'doze groups, so I thought I'd try here
    > first before resorting to that. My new laptop came with vista
    > preinstalled on it, and it's still there because I've had a hell of a
    > time resizing/adding new partitions for Linux. That's not why I'm
    > posting, though.

    Boot the Gparted Live CD?

    > I've managed to get it to recognize my Linux boxes, but I'm having the
    > craziest problems accessing/copying certain directories and files. For
    > example, in one user's home directory (on Linux), I've shared the ENTIRE
    > directory and all of its subdirectories--and from the 'doze box I can
    > see ALL of them. However, attempting to access CERTAIN directories,
    > such as .mozilla, yields an "access denied" error message. There
    > doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to this! Other directories that
    > start with a dot can be accessed just fine...while a few cannot--so it's
    > not a matter of dot-named directories being inaccessible. They're ALL
    > in the same user's home directory which was shared without stipulation
    > as to certain directories being unreadable. So I don't get it.

    I'd suggest looking at the permissions on the directories - that may yield
    a clue.

    > Also, when attempting to copy certain files--and they're all from the
    > same directory (on the Linux box) and all have identical permissions
    > (666)--I get this weird 'doze error message and the copy fails, while
    > OTHER files copy without a hitch. (Sorry, I can't try it right now and
    > I don't recall exactly what the message said.)
    >
    > Any ideas?

  3. Re: Networking problems with a 'doze laptop

    On May 1, 4:29 am, WCJ wrote:
    > I NEVER, ever visit or post on 'doze groups, so I thought I'd try here
    > first before resorting to that. My new laptop came with vista
    > preinstalled on it, and it's still there because I've had a hell of a
    > time resizing/adding new partitions for Linux. That's not why I'm
    > posting, though.
    >
    > I've managed to get it to recognize my Linux boxes, but I'm having the
    > craziest problems accessing/copying certain directories and files. For
    > example, in one user's home directory (on Linux), I've shared the ENTIRE
    > directory and all of its subdirectories--and from the 'doze box I can
    > see ALL of them. However, attempting to access CERTAIN directories,
    > such as .mozilla, yields an "access denied" error message. There
    > doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to this! Other directories that
    > start with a dot can be accessed just fine...while a few cannot--so it's
    > not a matter of dot-named directories being inaccessible. They're ALL
    > in the same user's home directory which was shared without stipulation
    > as to certain directories being unreadable. So I don't get it.
    >
    > Also, when attempting to copy certain files--and they're all from the
    > same directory (on the Linux box) and all have identical permissions
    > (666)--I get this weird 'doze error message and the copy fails, while
    > OTHER files copy without a hitch. (Sorry, I can't try it right now and
    > I don't recall exactly what the message said.)
    >
    > Any ideas?
    >
    > --
    >
    > When will Micro$oft make something that doesn't suck?
    > When they start making vacuum cleaners!www.cafepress.com/saproducts/1687108

    why dont you chmod 777 on every directory , copy what you need and
    bring it back to the permission you find *best* when you`re done!?

    zaher el siddik
    http://elsiddik.blogspot.com/

  4. Re: Networking problems with a 'doze laptop

    On Mon, 30 Apr 2007 18:29:39 GMT, WCJ wrote:

    > I NEVER, ever visit or post on 'doze groups, so I thought I'd try here
    > first before resorting to that. My new laptop came with vista
    > preinstalled on it, and it's still there because I've had a hell of a
    > time resizing/adding new partitions for Linux. That's not why I'm
    > posting, though.
    >
    > I've managed to get it to recognize my Linux boxes, but I'm having the
    > craziest problems accessing/copying certain directories and files. For
    > example, in one user's home directory (on Linux), I've shared the ENTIRE
    > directory and all of its subdirectories--and from the 'doze box I can
    > see ALL of them. However, attempting to access CERTAIN directories,
    > such as .mozilla, yields an "access denied" error message. There
    > doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to this! Other directories that
    > start with a dot can be accessed just fine...while a few cannot--so it's
    > not a matter of dot-named directories being inaccessible. They're ALL
    > in the same user's home directory which was shared without stipulation
    > as to certain directories being unreadable. So I don't get it.
    >
    > Also, when attempting to copy certain files--and they're all from the
    > same directory (on the Linux box) and all have identical permissions
    > (666)--I get this weird 'doze error message and the copy fails, while
    > OTHER files copy without a hitch. (Sorry, I can't try it right now and
    > I don't recall exactly what the message said.)
    >
    > Any ideas?

    I had this issue with my XP systems and a system running Ubuntu 6.10. I
    was told I needed to set up an smbpassword to use to access the Ubuntu
    shares from Windows. The command I have is for Ubuntu, other linux systems
    may use a slightly different (is it su?) command rather than sudo. But
    here's what I was told to do. On the Ubuntu system I opened a terminal and
    typed, "sudo smbpassword -a (user name)". Then give that user name a
    password. When Windows asks for a user name/password enter than
    information. You can also check the permissions on the Linux system to
    make sure that user has access permissions also.

    Hope this helps.

    Patty

+ Reply to Thread