services/inetd/qotd:How to enable? - Networking

This is a discussion on services/inetd/qotd:How to enable? - Networking ; Hi All ! I am playing with my debian [etch/unstable] to understand more and tried to enable the QOTD service. I made just an entry in the indetd.conf quote stream tcp nowait root internal and rebootet the box [/etc.init.d/inetd restart ...

  1. services/inetd/qotd:How to enable?

    Hi All !

    I am playing with my debian [etch/unstable] to understand more and tried
    to enable the QOTD service. I made just an entry in the indetd.conf

    quote stream tcp nowait root internal

    and rebootet the box [/etc.init.d/inetd restart = command not found].
    But a call to the service timed out for the first attempt and then fails
    with "Error:connection refused".

    I just remember, on my previous machine - NetBSD - the line was

    qotd stream tcp root nobody /usr/games/fortune fortune

    Can someone point me into the right direction??

    Thanks a lot and
    best regards,
    Manfred

  2. Re: services/inetd/qotd:How to enable?

    Hi !

    Much thanks;I'll give it a try.
    Sorry, my "/etc.init.d/inetd restart" was a typo
    and even "the right syntax" will not work, because
    that directory does not exist :-(

    Thanks,
    Manfred

    Bill Marcum wrote:
    > On Sun, 29 Apr 2007 20:35:36 +0200, mabra
    > wrote:
    >>
    >> Hi All !
    >>
    >> I am playing with my debian [etch/unstable] to understand more and tried
    >> to enable the QOTD service. I made just an entry in the indetd.conf
    >>
    >> quote stream tcp nowait root internal
    >>
    >> and rebootet the box [/etc.init.d/inetd restart = command not found].

    > /etc/init.d/inetd
    >
    >> But a call to the service timed out for the first attempt and then fails
    >> with "Error:connection refused".
    >>
    >> I just remember, on my previous machine - NetBSD - the line was
    >>
    >> qotd stream tcp root nobody /usr/games/fortune fortune
    >>
    >> Can someone point me into the right direction??
    >>

    > apt-cache install fortune-mod fortunes

+ Reply to Thread