voip on private lan - Networking

This is a discussion on voip on private lan - Networking ; Can I put two ethernet phones on a private lan and expect to be able to call from one to the other? I don't see why not, but I'm not sure how the call is identified from one phone to ...

  1. voip on private lan

    Can I put two ethernet phones on a private lan and expect to be able
    to call from one to the other? I don't see why not, but I'm not sure
    how the call is identified from one phone to the other. I don't want
    to use any source on the outside, just a private telephone network
    setup completely on my lan.

    Any help/ideas much apprecaited.

  2. Re: voip on private lan

    William wrote:

    > Can I put two ethernet phones on a private lan and expect to be able
    > to call from one to the other? I don't see why not, but I'm not sure
    > how the call is identified from one phone to the other. I don't want
    > to use any source on the outside, just a private telephone network
    > setup completely on my lan.
    >
    > Any help/ideas much apprecaited.

    Don't know - do they rely on a server? Telling us what make/model they are
    might help.

    Cheers

    Tim

  3. Re: voip on private lan

    > Don't know - do they rely on a server? Telling us what make/model they are
    > might help.

    I don't have any hardware yet, but will grab what will work. What sort
    of server would I need. I was currently thinking about just getting
    some ethernet phones that I could just plug into computers in
    different rooms, something like with a speaker fone.

  4. Re: voip on private lan

    William writes:

    >> Don't know - do they rely on a server? Telling us what make/model they are
    >> might help.

    >I don't have any hardware yet, but will grab what will work. What sort
    >of server would I need. I was currently thinking about just getting
    >some ethernet phones that I could just plug into computers in
    >different rooms, something like with a speaker fone.

    No. There is a bunch of software that goes with voip phones-- software to
    contact a server usually. Now you could write software to do you own voip
    but I doubt that is what you want.

  5. Re: voip on private lan

    > No. There is a bunch of software that goes with voip phones-- software to
    > contact a server usually. Now you could write software to do you own voip
    > but I doubt that is what you want.

    Wait, your telling me there's no open source software to act as a call
    manager of pbx or whatever this server is that these phones need to
    connect to?

    I doubt that. I know it's out there, I just wish I knew what was
    needed to make this happen. The software that goes with voip phones is
    a very smart part I'm sure of the overall solution that as I've been
    searching, seems to be available as open source, but I'm still trying
    to gather all the components.

    Isn't it just IP to IP, only I'm asking for the IP's on be on my LAN w/
    o using a service outside of it. I hope someone can help me understand
    what all I'm missing.

  6. Re: voip on private lan

    On Tue, 17 Apr 2007 12:48:35 -0700, William wrote:

    > Can I put two ethernet phones on a private lan and expect to be able
    > to call from one to the other? I don't see why not, but I'm not sure
    > how the call is identified from one phone to the other. I don't want
    > to use any source on the outside, just a private telephone network
    > setup completely on my lan.
    >
    > Any help/ideas much apprecaited.

    Have a look at asterisk.

    Dan

  7. Re: voip on private lan

    On Apr 17, 8:12 pm, Dan N wrote:
    > On Tue, 17 Apr 2007 12:48:35 -0700, William wrote:
    > > Can I put two ethernet phones on a private lan and expect to be able
    > > to call from one to the other? I don't see why not, but I'm not sure
    > > how the call is identified from one phone to the other. I don't want
    > > to use any source on the outside, just a private telephone network
    > > setup completely on my lan.

    > > Any help/ideas much apprecaited.

    > Have a look at asterisk.
    >
    > Dan

    Yeah, I saw that. Thanks, still trying to understand what all it
    entails.

  8. Re: voip on private lan

    William wrote:
    > Can I put two ethernet phones on a private lan and expect to be able
    > to call from one to the other? I don't see why not, but I'm not sure
    > how the call is identified from one phone to the other. I don't want
    > to use any source on the outside, just a private telephone network
    > setup completely on my lan.
    >
    > Any help/ideas much apprecaited.

    See http://www.iptel.org/ they have some good tutorials, and the
    software to do the job. All FOSS.

  9. Re: voip on private lan

    Thank you guys. So other than this software, I'm assuming all I need
    are a pair of ethernet phones?

  10. Re: voip on private lan

    On Apr 18, 9:01 am, William wrote:
    > Thank you guys. So other than this software, I'm assuming all I need
    > are a pair of ethernet phones?

    Btw - I'm only doing this to do some VoIP testing on networks and QoS,
    so I'm guessing this is the simplest way.

  11. Re: voip on private lan

    William wrote:
    > On Apr 18, 9:01 am, William wrote:
    >
    >>Thank you guys. So other than this software, I'm assuming all I need
    >>are a pair of ethernet phones?

    > Btw - I'm only doing this to do some VoIP testing on networks and QoS,
    > so I'm guessing this is the simplest way.

    Some linux distributions come with a softphone, but is you search
    freshmeat.net for sip phone, you can find several.

  12. Re: voip on private lan

    thats difficult!

  13. Re: voip on private lan

    I dont think it is impossible. If u install google talk, u can talk to each other without any extra cost. If u search on google, i am sure u will be able to find some free software for lan calls.
    working as network administrator for an internet phone provider

+ Reply to Thread