Serial Port Problem Fedora Core 6 - Networking

This is a discussion on Serial Port Problem Fedora Core 6 - Networking ; I am having problems using minicom to connect to a Cisco router's console port with FC6. I am trying to run minicom on a computer which had FC4 installed with the same hardware and minicom worked fine under FC4. When ...

  1. Serial Port Problem Fedora Core 6

    I am having problems using minicom to connect to a Cisco router's
    console port with FC6. I am trying to run minicom on a computer which
    had FC4 installed with the same hardware and minicom worked fine under
    FC4. When I test my serial ports with the dmesg and setserial
    commands I don't get the normal output:

    root@gpblinux ~]# dmesg | grep tty
    Xen virtual console successfully installed as ttyS0
    [root@gpblinux ~]# setserial -g /dev/ttyS[01]
    Cannot get serial info: Invalid argument
    /dev/ttyS1: No such device or address

    Under FC4 I get the UART info from setserial and dmesg shows the irq
    etc.

    I'm sure I'm running minicom correctly because it works fine uner
    FC4. I have tried minicom on several different computers with FC6 and
    they all have the same problem and the dmesg and setserial command
    provide the same output mentioned above.

    I suspect that the serial port is not being activiated by default as
    was done in FC4. How would I activiate it under FC6?

    Gary Bricher, bricherg@lanecc.edu

  2. Re: Serial Port Problem Fedora Core 6

    On Sun, 08 Apr 2007 10:30:05 -0700, bricherg@lanecc.edu rearranged some
    electrons to form:

    > Cannot get serial info: Invalid argument
    > /dev/ttyS1: No such device or address

    Looks like you're trying to set /dev/ttyS1.
    Try /dev/ttyS0.

    --
    David M (dmacchiarolo)
    http://home.triad.rr.com/redsled

  3. Re: Serial Port Problem Fedora Core 6

    bricherg@lanecc.edu wrote:
    > I am having problems using minicom to connect to a Cisco router's
    > console port with FC6. I am trying to run minicom on a computer which
    > had FC4 installed with the same hardware and minicom worked fine under
    > FC4. When I test my serial ports with the dmesg and setserial
    > commands I don't get the normal output:

    > root@gpblinux ~]# dmesg | grep tty
    > Xen virtual console successfully installed as ttyS0
    > [root@gpblinux ~]# setserial -g /dev/ttyS[01]
    > Cannot get serial info: Invalid argument
    > /dev/ttyS1: No such device or address

    > Under FC4 I get the UART info from setserial and dmesg shows the irq
    > etc.

    > I'm sure I'm running minicom correctly because it works fine uner
    > FC4. I have tried minicom on several different computers with FC6 and
    > they all have the same problem and the dmesg and setserial command
    > provide the same output mentioned above.

    > I suspect that the serial port is not being activiated by default as
    > was done in FC4. How would I activiate it under FC6?

    I don't run FC, but using mknod:
    mknod /dev/ttyS0 c 4 64 mknod /dev/ttyS1 c 4 65
    creates the files. Afterward you may need to change permissions or
    owner/group. man mknod.

    --
    Clifford Kite

+ Reply to Thread