switching from cable to DSL - Networking

This is a discussion on switching from cable to DSL - Networking ; We are trying to cut costs. For the last 2 years we have had a teaser rate of $26 each for cable tv and high speed internet. Now that the 2 year period is up, our rates went to $140/month. ...

  1. switching from cable to DSL

    We are trying to cut costs. For the last 2 years we have had a
    teaser rate of $26 each for cable tv and high speed internet. Now that
    the 2 year period is up, our rates went to $140/month. We are
    considering going to DSL and Dish Network and shave $50 off our bill.
    I'm running PCLinuxOS2006 and my wife runs all flavors of
    Winblows on her computers. What kind of problems can we expect? Will our
    Linksys WRT54G router work with DSL? I have no idea what kind of modem
    the telephone company (IowaTelecom) will supply with DSL.
    Thanks in advance for your help.

  2. Re: switching from cable to DSL

    On Tue, 03 Apr 2007 18:46:27 -0500, user wrote:

    > We are trying to cut costs. For the last 2 years we have had a
    > teaser rate of $26 each for cable tv and high speed internet. Now that
    > the 2 year period is up, our rates went to $140/month. We are
    > considering going to DSL and Dish Network and shave $50 off our bill.
    > I'm running PCLinuxOS2006 and my wife runs all flavors of
    > Winblows on her computers. What kind of problems can we expect? Will our
    > Linksys WRT54G router work with DSL? I have no idea what kind of modem
    > the telephone company (IowaTelecom) will supply with DSL.
    > Thanks in advance for your help.

    You should expect nil problems. Both providers should be supplying you
    with a 'modem' whith ethernet port access. You simply use a browser to the
    appropriate address to set it up. On the inside everything is the same. I
    recently converted from DSL to a local wireless - basically that provides
    a wireless cable modem connection. No problems. Reason I changed: the
    phone company kept playing that type of price yo-yo game and I got sick of
    it. Now have a no contract $35/month connection - can quit anytime I want,
    and the price will not go up without notification - it's not one of those
    games - just flat rate.

  3. Re: switching from cable to DSL

    On 2007-04-03, user rambled on thusly:

    > I'm running PCLinuxOS2006 and my wife runs all flavors of
    > Winblows on her computers. What kind of problems can we expect? Will our
    > Linksys WRT54G router work with DSL? I have no idea what kind of modem
    > the telephone company (IowaTelecom) will supply with DSL.

    Shouldn't be a problem at all, just insist on an external, non-USB DSL
    modem. You may have to pay extra for it, but it's worth the extra fee. Then
    just run a CAT5 (ethernet) cable from the DSL modem to the router, and you
    are done.

    The one place this wouldn't be true is if the phone company is going to use
    MSN as your ISP. That will make things a little more difficult. Not tons,
    but definitely more difficult.

    --
    Michael Fierro (aka Biffster) biffster@NOSPAM-REALLYgmail.com
    http://apt-get.biffster.org Y!: miguelito_fierro AIM: mfierro1

  4. Re: switching from cable to DSL

    Michael wrote:
    > On 2007-04-03, user rambled on thusly:
    >
    > Shouldn't be a problem at all, just insist on an external, non-USB DSL
    > modem. You may have to pay extra for it, but it's worth the extra
    > fee. Then just run a CAT5 (ethernet) cable from the DSL modem to the
    > router, and you are done.
    >
    > The one place this wouldn't be true is if the phone company is going
    > to use MSN as your ISP. That will make things a little more
    > difficult. Not tons, but definitely more difficult.
    >
    > -- Michael Fierro (aka Biffster)

    Thanks guys, for the feedback. I really appreciate the responses
    and clears it up for me

+ Reply to Thread