How to turn switch into hub in embedded linux(netgear dg834g)? - Networking

This is a discussion on How to turn switch into hub in embedded linux(netgear dg834g)? - Networking ; Netgear dg834g is an adsl router with 4-port-switch bridged with wi-fi interface. I want to record my VOIP conversations by sniffing the traffic to/from ATA connected to the switch. I think of connecting my laptop to the switch and running ...

  1. How to turn switch into hub in embedded linux(netgear dg834g)?

    Netgear dg834g is an adsl router with 4-port-switch bridged with wi-fi
    interface. I want to record my VOIP conversations by sniffing the traffic
    to/from ATA connected to the switch. I think of connecting my laptop to
    the switch and running erhereal on it to acheave this. How can I degrade
    switch into hub? I read that I could overflow arp tables for the switch
    to failover to hub(repeater) mode. Is there any more gracefull way from
    within router itself? The box is running linux 2.4.17(ifconfig, brctl
    commands available, and access to /proc).

    Dmitri

  2. Re: How to turn switch into hub in embedded linux(netgear dg834g)?

    On Apr 1, 11:43 pm, dmitri wrote:
    > Netgear dg834g is an adsl router with 4-port-switch bridged with wi-fi
    > interface. I want to record my VOIP conversations by sniffing the traffic
    > to/from ATA connected to the switch. I think of connecting my laptop to
    > the switch and running erhereal on it to acheave this. How can I degrade
    > switch into hub? I read that I could overflow arp tables for the switch
    > to failover to hub(repeater) mode. Is there any more gracefull way from
    > within router itself? The box is running linux 2.4.17(ifconfig, brctl
    > commands available, and access to /proc).

    Get a cheap hub, plug that and only that into the router/switch, and
    then
    plug everything else into the hub. The router/switch will handle the
    ADSL
    end of things, and the hub will connect your LAN to it. Only do this
    with
    a small LAN, because on a larger one it can create performance issues.

    Of course, that only handles the ethernet end of things. If you're
    using
    the 802.11 and want to sniff that also, then that's another kettle of
    fish.

  3. Re: How to turn switch into hub in embedded linux(netgear dg834g)?

    On Mon, 02 Apr 2007 09:40:38 -0700, galionlibrary wrote:

    > On Apr 1, 11:43 pm, dmitri wrote:
    >> Netgear dg834g is an adsl router with 4-port-switch bridged with wi-fi
    >> interface. I want to record my VOIP conversations by sniffing the
    >> traffic to/from ATA connected to the switch. I think of connecting my
    >> laptop to the switch and running erhereal on it to acheave this. How
    >> can I degrade switch into hub? I read that I could overflow arp tables
    >> for the switch to failover to hub(repeater) mode. Is there any more
    >> gracefull way from within router itself? The box is running linux
    >> 2.4.17(ifconfig, brctl commands available, and access to /proc).

    > Get a cheap hub, plug that and only that into the router/switch, and
    > then
    > plug everything else into the hub. The router/switch will handle the
    > ADSL
    > end of things, and the hub will connect your LAN to it. Only do this
    > with
    > a small LAN, because on a larger one it can create performance issues.
    >
    > Of course, that only handles the ethernet end of things. If you're
    > using
    > the 802.11 and want to sniff that also, then that's another kettle of
    > fish.

    Thanks for help anyway, but,please read subj and body of my posting
    again. The question is for comp.os.linux.networking, not for
    *.broadband.voip.* or how.to.ebay.*. I know the diff between hub, switch
    (managed,unmanaged,lowend/highend), router, etc. I'm also aware of arp
    spoofing/overfloding/etc... As the box is running linux, so all
    interfaces, links, routes, bridges, pppoatm, etc are created by linux
    commands.So iss it possible to monitor/mirror a ether switch port having
    root access to the box?

+ Reply to Thread