Mail disappears between server and email client. - Networking

This is a discussion on Mail disappears between server and email client. - Networking ; I am running Mandriva 2007, with KDE and KMail. Since I accidentally deleted my Home Directory I have been unable to get email to work properly. Currently, "bounce" messages from my ISP's server are received O.K., but mail sored on ...

  1. Mail disappears between server and email client.

    I am running Mandriva 2007, with KDE and KMail. Since I accidentally deleted
    my Home Directory I have been unable to get email to work properly.

    Currently, "bounce" messages from my ISP's server are received O.K., but
    mail sored on the server is simply deleted. This happens with KMail and
    Evolution, so it can't be anything specific to one client.

    Where should I start looking?

    Doug.
    --
    It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without
    accepting it.

  2. Re: Mail disappears between server and email client.

    On Mar 30, 7:26 am, Doug Laidlaw wrote:
    > I am running Mandriva 2007, with KDE and KMail. Since I accidentally deleted
    > my Home Directory I have been unable to get email to work properly.
    >
    > Currently, "bounce" messages from my ISP's server are received O.K., but
    > mail sored on the server is simply deleted. This happens with KMail and
    > Evolution, so it can't be anything specific to one client.
    >
    > Where should I start looking?
    >
    > Doug.
    > --
    > It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without
    > accepting it.
    > - Aristotle.

    Try adding a user and see what directories get created.
    useradd newuser
    ls -a /home/newuser

    Look in /var/spool/mail/ to see if your directory exists. If it
    worked before, we can assume sendmail is set up to accept connections
    from an external source.

  3. Re: Mail disappears between server and email client.

    systemnotes@gmail.com wrote:

    > On Mar 30, 7:26 am, Doug Laidlaw wrote:
    >> I am running Mandriva 2007, with KDE and KMail. Since I accidentally
    >> deleted my Home Directory I have been unable to get email to work
    >> properly.
    >>
    >> Currently, "bounce" messages from my ISP's server are received O.K., but
    >> mail sored on the server is simply deleted. This happens with KMail and
    >> Evolution, so it can't be anything specific to one client.
    >>
    >> Where should I start looking?
    >>
    >> Doug.
    >> --
    >> It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought
    >> without accepting it.
    >> - Aristotle.

    > Try adding a user and see what directories get created.
    > useradd newuser
    > ls -a /home/newuser
    >
    > Look in /var/spool/mail/ to see if your directory exists. If it
    > worked before, we can assume sendmail is set up to accept connections
    > from an external source.

    Sorry. The server is the ISP's server.

    Since my original post, I have done some further tests. I booted into
    Ubuntu and tried to download mail there. It got lost there as well. But
    my wife is able to download her mail into Windows XP, and she has a
    separate e-mail address on my account with the ISP.

    Doug.
    --
    If we do not believe in freedom of speech for those we despise we do not
    believe in it at all.

+ Reply to Thread