crazy ethernet interrupt - Networking

This is a discussion on crazy ethernet interrupt - Networking ; Hi group! Since yesterday, i have only ethernet-transmission, as long as i'm moving the mouse pointer somewhere around on the screen. Stopping the mouse, the transfer stops at once, moving again, transfer is continued. Does anyone have an idea? System ...

  1. crazy ethernet interrupt

    Hi group!

    Since yesterday, i have only ethernet-transmission,
    as long as i'm moving the mouse pointer somewhere
    around on the screen. Stopping the mouse, the
    transfer stops at once, moving again, transfer is
    continued.

    Does anyone have an idea?

    System is OpenSuse 10.2 with all updates on
    ASUS-Board with AMD.

    Gunter

  2. Re: crazy ethernet interrupt

    On Fri, 30 Mar 2007, in the Usenet newsgroup comp.os.linux.networking, in
    article , Gunter Lindemann wrote:

    >Since yesterday, i have only ethernet-transmission,
    >as long as i'm moving the mouse pointer somewhere
    >around on the screen. Stopping the mouse, the
    >transfer stops at once, moving again, transfer is
    >continued.

    What did you change? Look in /var/log/messages - and perhaps
    /var/log/boot.msg. When the system booted, the mouse was using
    some IRQ, and the Ethernet was using something else. You changed
    _something_ and now the IRQs are not the same. I don't know why,
    as I don't know what you did. Look also at the output of the
    commands /sbin/ifconfig -a (which should show what IRQ the NIC is
    using) and 'cat /proc/interrupts'

    Old guy

  3. Re: crazy ethernet interrupt

    Moe Trin wrote:

    > What did you change?

    I'm not aware that I have done anything but booting,
    do my daily work and shutdown. I didn't install or
    remove anything intentionally the last days.

    > Look in /var/log/messages - and perhaps
    > /var/log/boot.msg. When the system booted, the mouse was using
    > some IRQ, and the Ethernet was using something else. You changed
    > _something_ and now the IRQs are not the same. I don't know why,
    > as I don't know what you did. Look also at the output of the
    > commands /sbin/ifconfig -a (which should show what IRQ the NIC is
    > using) and 'cat /proc/interrupts'

    Thanks a lot! I had a hunch, that it has something to do with
    any IRQ, but didn't know, where to look for it. I will do, as
    you told me!

    Greetings!
    Gunter

  4. Re: crazy ethernet interrupt

    Moe Trin wrote:

    > What did you change?

    Got an idea, what i actually did:
    The USB-Mouse connector was loosened and i
    put it back while the system was running.
    I guess, since then i have that described
    behavior.

    > using) and 'cat /proc/interrupts'

    brings me that:

    CPU0
    0: 3208816 XT-PIC timer
    1: 7141 XT-PIC i8042
    2: 0 XT-PIC cascade
    6: 4 XT-PIC floppy
    7: 1 XT-PIC parport0
    8: 2 XT-PIC rtc
    9: 1 XT-PIC acpi
    11: 56079 XT-PIC aic7xxx
    12: 22631 XT-PIC uhci_hcd:usb1, uhci_hcd:usb2, eth0
    14: 110587 XT-PIC ide0
    NMI: 0
    LOC: 0
    ERR: 0
    MIS: 0

    But i have no idea, how to change the
    interrupts again.

    Gunter

  5. Re: crazy ethernet interrupt

    On Mon, 02 Apr 2007, in the Usenet newsgroup comp.os.linux.networking, in
    article , Gunter Lindemann wrote:

    >Moe Trin wrote:
    >
    >> What did you change?

    >Got an idea, what i actually did:
    >The USB-Mouse connector was loosened and i
    >put it back while the system was running.

    Oh how I HATE these programs that "help" you manage the hardware in your
    computer.

    >I guess, since then i have that described behavior.

    Your interrupt list shows that the kernel is expecting the USB and
    Ethernet on the same IRQ, though in fact they may or may not all be
    doing so.

    >brings me that:
    >
    > CPU0
    > 0: 3208816 XT-PIC timer
    > 1: 7141 XT-PIC i8042
    > 2: 0 XT-PIC cascade
    > 6: 4 XT-PIC floppy
    > 7: 1 XT-PIC parport0
    > 8: 2 XT-PIC rtc
    > 9: 1 XT-PIC acpi

    Reasonable

    > 11: 56079 XT-PIC aic7xxx

    SCSI host adaptor

    > 12: 22631 XT-PIC uhci_hcd:usb1, uhci_hcd:usb2, eth0

    USB and NIC - what does the NIC show in /var/log/messages during boot?

    > 14: 110587 XT-PIC ide0

    IDE controller - normal.

    >But i have no idea, how to change the
    >interrupts again.

    Normally, the IRQ is set using a BIOS setup of some kind. This may be set
    to AUTO (or similar) which allows the O/S to kick things about. It's a
    pain in the butt, especially when you have available "low" IRQs.

    For a PCI interface - whether a plug-in card, or a motherboard mounted
    device, there will be access to four IRQ wires - generally these are
    ganged across all cards and motherboard devices - known as INTA through
    INTD. These are connected to the Southbridge chip of the chipset. In the
    original IBM design of the 1980s, the IRQs were connected to a priority
    encoder, and the four or five output leads of that chip pulled the chain
    on the CPU and identified which of 256 possible interrupt routines to
    run. The interrupts are no longer "hard wired" a specific interrupt
    vector, and this relationship is controlled in software.

    What appears to have happened in your case is that the loose connection
    confused some setup program. What I would be doing is poking about in the
    BIOS setup and seeing if I can set the IRQ for the PCI cards to something
    other than what the USB is using, then on re-booting, see that the kernel
    can now see it as a separate device.

    Old guy

  6. Re: crazy ethernet interrupt

    Moe Trin wrote:

    > USB and NIC - what does the NIC show in /var/log/messages during boot?

    /var/log # grep NIC messages

    nothing!

    /var/log # grep nic messages

    many lines containing the german word "nicht" (not)

    similar on /var/log/boot.msg

    Gunter

  7. Re: crazy ethernet interrupt

    On Tue, 03 Apr 2007, in the Usenet newsgroup comp.os.linux.networking, in
    article , Gunter Lindemann wrote:

    >Moe Trin wrote:

    >> USB and NIC - what does the NIC show in /var/log/messages during boot?

    >/var/log # grep NIC messages
    >
    >nothing!

    Not surprising - how about 'grep -2 eth /var/log/messages' (you may also
    need to look at older logs, which might be named messages.0, messages.1
    and so on which might be compressed - i.e. use zgrep or bzgrep if needed).
    You may also want to look in those same logs to see how the USB stuff is
    being configured.

    >/var/log # grep nic messages
    >
    >many lines containing the german word "nicht" (not)

    Not relevant to the problem, but use 'grep -w' to avoid that.

    Old guy

  8. Re: crazy ethernet interrupt

    Moe Trin wrote:

    > Not surprising - how about 'grep -2 eth /var/log/messages'

    I think, i found the entry, that logged the moment, when
    i just booted, determined the loosened USB-Mouse and
    plugged it again (Mar 28 14:30:56).

    I saved the messages of this process in a textfile.
    May i send it to you by email? It is about 200 lines
    (16 kB).

    Gunter

+ Reply to Thread