connection problem with DSL modem. - Networking

This is a discussion on connection problem with DSL modem. - Networking ; I've spent two days so far to connect my Linux box with DSL modem from Telus. I have 2.4.1 PPPoE client: pppoe, pppd and running scipts (adsl-start, adsl-stop, etc.). I used to use Sympatico without any problem until 2005 in ...

  1. connection problem with DSL modem.

    I've spent two days so far to connect my Linux box with DSL modem from
    Telus.
    I have 2.4.1 PPPoE client: pppoe, pppd and running scipts (adsl-start,
    adsl-stop, etc.).
    I used to use Sympatico without any problem until 2005 in Ontario.

    They ask me the MAC address of my network card which I've never heard
    of.
    The tech agents insists they need to get MAC addresses and that's the
    only thing they can do.

    I don't have extra computer at home and the linux box is 10 years old.
    The problem I have I heavily modified, I had run LFS for 2 years
    before I stopped using computer 1 year ago.

    Do I have to install whole new Linux system using Debian or SuSe, etc
    for getting upated DHCP clients?

  2. Re: connection problem with DSL modem.

    nabi wrote:
    > I've spent two days so far to connect my Linux box with DSL modem from
    > Telus.
    > I have 2.4.1 PPPoE client: pppoe, pppd and running scipts (adsl-start,
    > adsl-stop, etc.).
    > I used to use Sympatico without any problem until 2005 in Ontario.

    How does your DSL modem connect to your computer? e.g. is it a PCI card
    or does it connect to your USB or ethernet port?

    And, if it really stays difficult, remember that for 30 you can buy a
    combined ADSL modem and ethernet router that will plug into an ethernet
    port which will allow you to forget all about ppp and adls-* scripts.

    Robert

    > [snip]

  3. Re: connection problem with DSL modem.

    I bought a D-Link DI-604 router after work.
    It did not give any instruction for Linux user but, it worked out for
    me.

    Assigned the private IP to the network card.
    Then, cloned the MAC address of the network card to the router and
    connected to ISP.

    Everything works fine now.

    Robert Harris 작성:

    > nabi wrote:
    > > I've spent two days so far to connect my Linux box with DSL modem from
    > > Telus.
    > > I have 2.4.1 PPPoE client: pppoe, pppd and running scipts (adsl-start,
    > > adsl-stop, etc.).
    > > I used to use Sympatico without any problem until 2005 in Ontario.

    > How does your DSL modem connect to your computer? e.g. is it a PCI card
    > or does it connect to your USB or ethernet port?
    >
    > And, if it really stays difficult, remember that for £30 you can buya
    > combined ADSL modem and ethernet router that will plug into an ethernet
    > port which will allow you to forget all about ppp and adls-* scripts.
    >
    > Robert
    >
    > > [snip]

+ Reply to Thread