Is it possible, bind has done but the OS still respond with ICMP destination unreachable - Networking

This is a discussion on Is it possible, bind has done but the OS still respond with ICMP destination unreachable - Networking ; Hi, I encounter a problem seems strange. I ran ser(a open source SIP server) which binds to the port 5060. After the system starting up, I can see aparently that the ser has successfully bind to UDP 5060. But when ...

  1. Is it possible, bind has done but the OS still respond with ICMP destination unreachable

    Hi,

    I encounter a problem seems strange. I ran ser(a open source SIP
    server) which binds to the port 5060. After the system starting up, I
    can see aparently that the ser has successfully bind to UDP 5060. But
    when other machine send packets to 5060(UDP), the OS responds it with
    ICMP error(destination unreachable, port unreachable), any other
    possibilities will cause this?

    I am using ubuntu 6.10.

    Thanks in advance.

    abai

  2. Re: Is it possible, bind has done but the OS still respond with ICMP destination unreachable

    On 3月27日, 上午10时20分, "Bin Chen" wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I encounter a problem seems strange. I ran ser(a open source SIP
    > server) which binds to the port 5060. After the system starting up, I
    > can see aparently that the ser has successfully bind to UDP 5060. But
    > when other machine send packets to 5060(UDP), the OS responds it with
    > ICMP error(destination unreachable, port unreachable), any other
    > possibilities will cause this?
    >
    > I am using ubuntu 6.10.
    >
    > Thanks in advance.
    >
    > abai

    If a program first does a bind, and then it enter a dead loop, will
    the OS find the binder has dead and respond a ICMP error?

  3. Re: Is it possible, bind has done but the OS still respond with ICMPdestination unreachable

    > I encounter a problem seems strange. I ran ser(a open source SIP
    > server) which binds to the port 5060. After the system starting up, I
    > can see aparently that the ser has successfully bind to UDP 5060.

    You shouldn't be saying "apparently". Run netstat -ltu and see what it
    *has* bound to.

  4. Re: Is it possible, bind has done but the OS still respond with ICMP destination unreachable

    On Mar 28, 9:18 am, Allen McIntosh wrote:
    > > I encounter a problem seems strange. I ran ser(a open source SIP
    > > server) which binds to the port 5060. After the system starting up, I
    > > can see aparently that the ser has successfully bind to UDP 5060.

    > You shouldn't be saying "apparently". Run netstat -ltu and see what it
    > *has* bound to.

    Sure, I have checked this and see the binding.

+ Reply to Thread