Problems creating domain for intranet - Networking

This is a discussion on Problems creating domain for intranet - Networking ; I am new to linux and trying to setup apache server. i was succesful in configuring apache and the apche server is running. I am able to acces html pages through browser using http://localhost . What i want now is ...

  1. Problems creating domain for intranet

    I am new to linux and trying to setup apache server. i was succesful
    in configuring apache and the apche server is running.

    I am able to acces html pages through browser using http://localhost.

    What i want now is to create diffrent domain names which can be used
    by different person to put there webpages say for example :

    hrd.john.net
    sls.mike.net

    each having his own space limit.

    i read in some help files that i have to create virtual ips for that.

    i have created virtual ips for my ethernet card.

    and i am able to ping those ips.

    then i created namebased domain name for each ip. and have assinged
    them folders.

    but i am unable to access webpages put in those folders using these
    domain names or even ip.

    can somebody guide me what i am doing wrong.

    do i have to configure dns for that ? how do i do that ?

    thnx for your time and help

  2. Re: Problems creating domain for intranet

    On Mar 26, 4:41 pm, "linux_learner" wrote:
    > I am new to linux and trying to setup apache server. i was succesful
    > in configuring apache and the apche server is running.
    >
    > I am able to acces html pages through browser usinghttp://localhost.
    >
    > What i want now is to create diffrent domain names which can be used
    > by different person to put there webpages say for example :
    >
    > hrd.john.net
    > sls.mike.net
    >
    > each having his own space limit.
    >
    > i read in some help files that i have to create virtual ips for that.
    >
    > i have created virtual ips for my ethernet card.
    >
    > and i am able to ping those ips.
    >
    > then i created namebased domain name for each ip. and have assinged
    > them folders.
    >
    > but i am unable to access webpages put in those folders using these
    > domain names or even ip.
    >
    > can somebody guide me what i am doing wrong.
    >
    > do i have to configure dns for that ? how do i do that ?
    >
    > thnx for your time and help

    You are almost there..

    1. If you want to use ip based virtual host read
    http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.0/vhosts/ip-based.html . Once you've
    setup these directives in your config file, make sure each of those
    names resolve on your server and also the client from where you are
    going to access the webpages..

    for example you should be able to resolve hrd.john.net to a ip address
    ( getent hosts hrd.john.net)..For this you can start with an entry in
    the /etc/hosts files first and then go on to setup dns to serve the
    rest of your intranet

    2. Check online for linux dns and you'll find a lot of good articles
    for a very basic setup.All your DNS server will be serving is your own
    intranet and will query the root servers for any external queries..

  3. Re: Problems creating domain for intranet

    linux_learner wrote:
    > I am new to linux and trying to setup apache server. i was succesful
    > in configuring apache and the apche server is running.
    >
    > I am able to acces html pages through browser using http://localhost.
    >

    > What i want now is to create diffrent domain names which can be used
    > by different person to put there webpages say for example :
    >

    > hrd.john.net
    > sls.mike.net
    >

    > each having his own space limit.
    >

    > i read in some help files that i have to create virtual ips for that.

    You don't need different IP addresses. Read the apache documentation,
    specifically about NameVirtualHost and VirtualHost.

    Don't mess with domain names. Just use one that works locally.

    Robert

    > [snip]

+ Reply to Thread