e1000 driver won't load at boot, but loads OK manually. Why? - Networking

This is a discussion on e1000 driver won't load at boot, but loads OK manually. Why? - Networking ; Hi all, I just upgraded my dell dimension 9150 from suse 10.0 to 10.2 (kernel 2.6.18.2-34-default) and have a problem with loading the driver for the NIC (Intel 82573L Gigabit Ethernet Controller ; e1000 driver) At boot the following network ...

  1. e1000 driver won't load at boot, but loads OK manually. Why?

    Hi all,

    I just upgraded my dell dimension 9150 from suse 10.0 to 10.2 (kernel
    2.6.18.2-34-default) and have a problem with loading the driver for
    the NIC (Intel 82573L Gigabit Ethernet Controller ; e1000 driver)

    At boot the following network error is displayed

    Setting up network interfaces:
    lo
    lo IP address: 127.0.0.1/8
    doneWaiting for mandatory devices: eth0 __NSC__
    20 [acpid]: client connected from 2754[101:102] [acpid]: 1 client rule
    loaded 19 18 17 16 15 14 13 12 11 10 9 8 7 6 5 4 3 1 0
    eth0 No interface found
    failedSetting up service network . . . . failed

    Once the machine is booted, I log in and run "ifconfig" - Only the
    loopback device (lo) is displayed, no sign of eth0

    I run "hwinfo --netcard" and as expected see details for the 82573L
    Gigabit Ethernet Controller, including :
    Driver Status: e1000 is not active
    Driver Activation Cmd: "modprobe e1000"

    After running "modprobe e1000" at the command line, all is well -
    ifconfig show details for both "lo" and "eth0", and I can now see the
    network. Fine.

    But obviously I don't want to "su" and "modprobe e1000" every time I
    boot the machine. So the question is, how do I get the e1000 module to
    load as part of the boot process? I tried editing /etc/
    modprobe.local.conf, adding the following lines :

    alias eth0 e1000
    install e1000 /sbin/modprobe e1000

    I rebooted with either 1 or both lines added - This didn't fix the
    problem (in fact, leaving in the "install e1000..."
    line breaks modprobe, so I can no longer load the driver at the
    command line).

    Being no expert on linux network configuration or the module loading
    process, I'm now right out of ideas... any suggestions ?

    Thanks,
    Steve B

  2. Re: e1000 driver won't load at boot, but loads OK manually. Why?

    stevenb9643 wrote:
    > Hi all,
    >
    > I just upgraded my dell dimension 9150 from suse 10.0 to 10.2 (kernel
    > 2.6.18.2-34-default) and have a problem with loading the driver for
    > the NIC (Intel 82573L Gigabit Ethernet Controller ; e1000 driver)
    >
    > At boot the following network error is displayed
    >
    > Setting up network interfaces:
    > lo
    > lo IP address: 127.0.0.1/8
    > doneWaiting for mandatory devices: eth0 __NSC__
    > 20 [acpid]: client connected from 2754[101:102] [acpid]: 1 client rule
    > loaded 19 18 17 16 15 14 13 12 11 10 9 8 7 6 5 4 3 1 0
    > eth0 No interface found
    > failedSetting up service network . . . . failed
    >
    > Once the machine is booted, I log in and run "ifconfig" - Only the
    > loopback device (lo) is displayed, no sign of eth0
    >
    > I run "hwinfo --netcard" and as expected see details for the 82573L
    > Gigabit Ethernet Controller, including :
    > Driver Status: e1000 is not active
    > Driver Activation Cmd: "modprobe e1000"
    >
    > After running "modprobe e1000" at the command line, all is well -
    > ifconfig show details for both "lo" and "eth0", and I can now see the
    > network. Fine.
    >
    > But obviously I don't want to "su" and "modprobe e1000" every time I
    > boot the machine. So the question is, how do I get the e1000 module to
    > load as part of the boot process? I tried editing /etc/
    > modprobe.local.conf, adding the following lines :
    >
    > alias eth0 e1000
    > install e1000 /sbin/modprobe e1000
    >
    > I rebooted with either 1 or both lines added - This didn't fix the
    > problem (in fact, leaving in the "install e1000..."
    > line breaks modprobe, so I can no longer load the driver at the
    > command line).
    >
    > Being no expert on linux network configuration or the module loading
    > process, I'm now right out of ideas... any suggestions ?

    Using YaST, Select "System" in the left panel and click on "/etc/sysconfig Editor". In the new
    window, click on the + beside "System", and on the + beside "Kernel". Now click on
    "MODUlES_LOADED_AT_BOOT" and add e1000 to the list. That will force the loading of the module on
    boot. I suspect you could also get it in the Network configuration, but I know this one will work.

    Larry

  3. Re: e1000 driver won't load at boot, but loads OK manually. Why?

    Thanks Larry,

    I'll give this a try when I next get access to the machine (this
    weekend I hope) ... touch wood, this will sort the problem out.

    Regards
    Steve B

  4. Re: e1000 driver won't load at boot, but loads OK manually. Why?

    Larry,

    That has cured the problem ( Yast has added the line :
    MODULES_LOADED_ON_BOOT="e1000" to /etc/sysconfig/kernel ). Apparently
    I could also have added "modprobe e1000" to /etc/init.d/boot.local -
    Has much the same effect.

    Thanks again for your help,
    Steve

  5. Re: e1000 driver won't load at boot, but loads OK manually. Why?

    stevenb9643 wrote:
    > Larry,
    >
    > That has cured the problem ( Yast has added the line :
    > MODULES_LOADED_ON_BOOT="e1000" to /etc/sysconfig/kernel ). Apparently
    > I could also have added "modprobe e1000" to /etc/init.d/boot.local -
    > Has much the same effect.

    I knew there were several ways to do it. I gave you the TaST route because I didn't have to ask if
    you could edit in a terminal window. I _NVER_ assume that skill. :-)

    Larry

+ Reply to Thread