What did aptitude fail to do when it installed telnetd? - Networking

This is a discussion on What did aptitude fail to do when it installed telnetd? - Networking ; Hi everybody, I googled and can't figure this out...I just installed Debian 3.1r5 (used to run 2.2). I installed telnetd (please, no posts about how unsecure it is) using aptitude. telnet to localhost gives me a connection refused error. I ...

  1. What did aptitude fail to do when it installed telnetd?

    Hi everybody,

    I googled and can't figure this out...I just installed Debian 3.1r5
    (used to run 2.2). I installed telnetd (please, no posts about how
    unsecure it is) using aptitude. telnet to localhost gives me a
    connection refused error. I looked in /var/log/syslog and found an
    inetd entry complaining about no such user for 'telnetd.telnetd'.

    I looked at the inetd.conf fle and it's the same as the one in my old
    Debian install. I replaced the owner field of 'telnetd.telnetd' with
    root and telnetd works fine (it allows local and remote logins).

    Sure, I can keep the file change, but I'd like to learn what went
    wrong with the install.

    One more thing that may/may not be relevant. In syslog, inetd also
    has an entry about not finding initd.d (there is none in /etc--I'm
    using inetd.conf). For now I'm assuming this message is just a
    nuisance "informative" one.

    Thanks all for the insight!

    Jim

  2. Re: What did aptitude fail to do when it installed telnetd?

    In comp.os.linux.networking Jim wrote:
    > I looked in /var/log/syslog and found an inetd entry complaining about no

    such user for 'telnetd.telnetd'.

    Does the user exist in /etc/passwd?

    telnetd:x:104:104::/nonexistent:/bin/false

    > I looked at the inetd.conf fle and it's the same as the one in my old
    > Debian install. I replaced the owner field of 'telnetd.telnetd' with
    > root and telnetd works fine (it allows local and remote logins).

    The telnetd user should work in inetd.conf:

    telnet stream tcp nowait telnetd.telnetd /usr/sbin/tcpd
    /usr/sbin/in.telnetd

    Regards,

    Mark.

    --
    Mark Hobley
    393 Quinton Road West

    Telephone: (0121) 247 1596
    International: 0044 121 247 1596

    http://markhobley.yi.org/

  3. Re: What did aptitude fail to do when it installed telnetd?

    On Mar 24, 3:03 pm, markhob...@hotpop.deletethisbit.com (Mark Hobley)
    wrote:
    > In comp.os.linux.networking Jim wrote:> I looked in /var/log/syslog and found an inetd entry complaining about no
    >
    > such user for 'telnetd.telnetd'.
    >
    > Does the user exist in /etc/passwd?
    >
    > telnetd:x:104:104::/nonexistent:/bin/false
    >

    > > I looked at the inetd.conf fle and it's the same as the one in my old
    > > Debian install. I replaced the owner field of 'telnetd.telnetd' with
    > > root and telnetd works fine (it allows local and remote logins).

    > The telnetd user should work in inetd.conf:
    >
    > telnet stream tcp nowait telnetd.telnetd /usr/sbin/tcpd
    > /usr/sbin/in.telnetd
    >
    > Regards,
    >
    > Mark.
    >
    > --
    > Mark Hobley
    > 393 Quinton Road West
    > QUINTON
    > Birmingham
    > B32 1QE
    >
    > Telephone: (0121) 247 1596
    > International: 0044 121 247 1596
    >
    > Email: markhobley at hotpop dot donottypethisbit com
    >
    > http://markhobley.yi.org/

    Mark,

    Yes, telnetd is in /etc/passwd. This is strange.

    Jim

  4. Re: What did aptitude fail to do when it installed telnetd?

    In comp.os.linux.networking Jim wrote:

    > Yes, telnetd is in /etc/passwd. This is strange.

    Ok. In /etc/hosts.allow:

    ALL: 127.0.0.1

    Stop and restart network services. Can you now telnet localhost?

    Regards,

    Mark.

    --
    Mark Hobley
    393 Quinton Road West
    QUINTON
    Birmingham
    B32 1QE

    Telephone: (0121) 247 1596
    International: 0044 121 247 1596

    http://markhobley.yi.org/

  5. Re: What did aptitude fail to do when it installed telnetd?

    On Mar 24, 5:03 pm, markhob...@hotpop.deletethisbit.com (Mark Hobley)
    wrote:
    > In comp.os.linux.networking Jim wrote:
    >
    > > Yes, telnetd is in /etc/passwd. This is strange.

    > Ok. In /etc/hosts.allow:
    >
    > ALL: 127.0.0.1
    >
    > Stop and restart network services. Can you now telnet localhost?
    >
    > Regards,
    >
    > Mark.
    >
    > --
    > Mark Hobley
    > 393 Quinton Road West
    > QUINTON
    > Birmingham
    > B32 1QE
    >
    > Telephone: (0121) 247 1596
    > International: 0044 121 247 1596
    >
    > Email: markhobley at hotpop dot donottypethisbit com
    >
    > http://markhobley.yi.org/

    Mark,

    It didn't make a difference. I think the problem is the telnetd
    server process was never launched because inetd doesn't recognize
    telnetd as a valid user. Recall in my first post about the syslog
    message. The exact message is: gumby inetd[614]: telnet/tcp: No
    such user 'telnetd.telnetd', service ignored. I don't see a telnetd
    process running.

    My passwd entry is: telnetd:x:103:103::/nonexistent:/bin/false

    My group entry is: telnetd:x:103:

    Like I said, I can get it running if I change inetd.conf to have root
    as the user, but I shouldn't have to (it wasn't that way on my older
    Debian install).

    Jim

  6. Re: What did aptitude fail to do when it installed telnetd?

    In comp.os.linux.networking Jim wrote:

    > message. The exact message is: gumby inetd[614]: telnet/tcp: No
    > such user 'telnetd.telnetd', service ignored.
    > I don't see a telnetd> process running.

    Ok, lets check some file ownerships and permissions:

    ls -l /usr/sbin/in*

    -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 22720 2006-02-07 02:21 inetd
    -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 35940 2005-10-09 17:24 in.telnetd

    ls -l /usr/lib/telnetlogin

    -rwsr-xr-- 1 root telnetd 6032 2005-10-09 17:24 /usr/lib/telnetlogin

    Note: suid

    > My passwd entry is: telnetd:x:103:103::/nonexistent:/bin/false
    > My group entry is: telnetd:x:103:

    Check that they also exist in shadow and gshadow.

    grep "telnet" /etc/services

    telnet 23/tcp
    telnet 23/udp

    cat /etc/hosts.allow

    ALL: 127.0.0.1

    Is inetd running as root?

    ps -ef|grep "inetd"
    root 21241 1 0 Feb26 ? 00:00:34 /usr/sbin/inetd

    Try adding "-a none" to telnet command in inetd.

    Try running the telnetd and -D debugging options. I believe that you can use
    sudo to run an user telnetd.

    There may be some issues with PAM modules, but I don't know much about these.

    Regards,

    Mark.

    --
    Mark Hobley
    393 Quinton Road West
    QUINTON
    Birmingham
    B32 1QE

    Telephone: (0121) 247 1596
    International: 0044 121 247 1596

    http://markhobley.yi.org/

  7. Re: What did aptitude fail to do when it installed telnetd?

    On Mar 25, 10:03 am, markhob...@hotpop.deletethisbit.com (Mark Hobley)
    wrote:
    > In comp.os.linux.networking Jim wrote:
    >

    > > message. The exact message is: gumby inetd[614]: telnet/tcp: No
    > > such user 'telnetd.telnetd', service ignored.
    > > I don't see a telnetd> process running.

    > Ok, lets check some file ownerships and permissions:
    >
    > ls -l /usr/sbin/in*
    >
    > -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 22720 2006-02-07 02:21 inetd
    > -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 35940 2005-10-09 17:24 in.telnetd
    >
    > ls -l /usr/lib/telnetlogin
    >
    > -rwsr-xr-- 1 root telnetd 6032 2005-10-09 17:24 /usr/lib/telnetlogin
    >
    > Note: suid
    >
    > > My passwd entry is: telnetd:x:103:103::/nonexistent:/bin/false
    > > My group entry is: telnetd:x:103:

    > Check that they also exist in shadow and gshadow.
    >
    > grep "telnet" /etc/services
    >
    > telnet 23/tcp
    > telnet 23/udp
    >
    > cat /etc/hosts.allow
    >
    > ALL: 127.0.0.1
    >
    > Is inetd running as root?
    >
    > ps -ef|grep "inetd"
    > root 21241 1 0 Feb26 ? 00:00:34 /usr/sbin/inetd
    >
    > Try adding "-a none" to telnet command in inetd.
    >
    > Try running the telnetd and -D debugging options. I believe that you can use
    > sudo to run an user telnetd.
    >
    > There may be some issues with PAM modules, but I don't know much about these.
    >
    > Regards,
    >
    > Mark.
    >
    > --
    > Mark Hobley
    > 393 Quinton Road West
    > QUINTON
    > Birmingham
    > B32 1QE
    >
    > Telephone: (0121) 247 1596
    > International: 0044 121 247 1596
    >
    > Email: markhobley at hotpop dot donottypethisbit com
    >
    > http://markhobley.yi.org/

    Mark,

    I appreciate all your help. I tried most of your suggestions last
    week--I still haven't tried the "-a none" option though. I've been
    busy getting the rest of my system up (lirc, irmp3). Since it works
    OK with root as the owner, I'm gonna leave it for now. I don't have
    that linux box routed to the internet, so it's not really a big deal.
    I just wanted to fix it for the sake of learning. I'll try your last
    suggestion, and if it doesn't work, I'll periodically do a newsgroup
    search to see if anyone else has the problem/solution.

    Thanks again!

    Jim

+ Reply to Thread