Bandwidth monitoring on linux firewall router - Networking

This is a discussion on Bandwidth monitoring on linux firewall router - Networking ; Hello c.o.l.networking! I am looking for a couple software suggestions. I currently have a Linux box with multiple interfaces, kernel 2.6.15 working as a firewall/router on my home network with some additional services running on it. I am using MRTG ...

  1. Bandwidth monitoring on linux firewall router

    Hello c.o.l.networking! I am looking for a couple software
    suggestions. I currently have a Linux box with multiple interfaces,
    kernel 2.6.15 working as a firewall/router on my home network with
    some additional services running on it. I am using MRTG for
    monitoring, and it works great, keeping track of network, CPU, etc.
    However, I would like to get some more granular monitoring of the
    network utilization.

    The firewall is IPtables-based and I use the shorewall scripts to
    manage the policies and rules.

    Currently, I have it setup for the send/receive for each of the
    interfaces. However, I'd like to keep track of the percentage of
    bandwidth being used on a per port, or per protocol basis. Ideally, I
    would like something that has a little logic so that it could figure
    out that something is, say, P2P no matter what port the client uses,
    and aggregate 25 and 587 as 'SMTP' traffic. Things like that.
    Web-based graphs like MRTG would be great

    I was wondering what, if anything, people on this forum were using. I
    would prefer open source, but will look at all options reasonable for
    a home user/office type scenario.

    thank you!
    Kevin

    --
    In Vino Veritas
    http://astroturfgarden.com

  2. Re: Bandwidth monitoring on linux firewall router

    On 2007-03-21, Kevin T. Neely wrote:
    > Hello c.o.l.networking! I am looking for a couple software
    > suggestions. I currently have a Linux box with multiple interfaces,
    > kernel 2.6.15 working as a firewall/router on my home network with
    > some additional services running on it. I am using MRTG for
    > monitoring, and it works great, keeping track of network, CPU, etc.
    > However, I would like to get some more granular monitoring of the
    > network utilization.

    Take a look at bmon and ntop.
    ->HS

    --
    (Remove all caps,if any, from my email address to get thecorrect one.
    Apologies for the inconvenience but this is to reduce spam.)

  3. Re: Bandwidth monitoring on linux firewall router

    On 2007-03-22, H.S. wrote:
    > On 2007-03-21, Kevin T. Neely wrote:
    >> However, I would like to get some more granular monitoring of the
    >> network utilization.

    > Take a look at bmon and ntop.
    > ->HS

    These are great, thank you. bmon looks fun to play with, but I think
    ntop is exactly what I am looking for. Based on the name, I thought
    it was more of a real-time monitoring, but from the site, it looks
    like it does trending and stores usage history, which is nice. I will
    give it a try!

    thanks,

    In Vino Veritas
    http://astroturfgarden.com