IPv6 and IPv4 conversion with Linux Router. - Networking

This is a discussion on IPv6 and IPv4 conversion with Linux Router. - Networking ; I currently have a system with a cable modem, ClarkConnect gateway, 3 Linksys switches, all doing only IPv4. I was wondering, when we are forced to use Ipv6, can I just have my ClarkConnect gateway use IPv6 and IPv4 and ...

  1. IPv6 and IPv4 conversion with Linux Router.

    I currently have a system with a cable modem, ClarkConnect gateway, 3
    Linksys switches, all doing only IPv4. I was wondering, when we are
    forced to use Ipv6, can I just have my ClarkConnect gateway use IPv6
    and IPv4 and not be forced to buy new switches?

  2. Re: IPv6 and IPv4 conversion with Linux Router.

    RedPenguin wrote:
    > I currently have a system with a cable modem, ClarkConnect gateway, 3
    > Linksys switches, all doing only IPv4. I was wondering, when we are
    > forced to use Ipv6, can I just have my ClarkConnect gateway use IPv6
    > and IPv4 and not be forced to buy new switches?

    Why will we be forced to use IPv6? IPv4 traffic will still be routable, won't
    it? There is an IP version number in the datagrams that tells routers that
    IPv4 is being used.

    I have some funny things happening on my network actually, because I use IP4
    here, but I notice that when Yahoo search engine connects to my website, it
    appears to be using IPv6 addressing modes. Weird!

    Mark.

    --
    Mark Hobley
    393 Quinton Road West

    Telephone: (0121) 247 1596
    International: 0044 121 247 1596

    http://markhobley.yi.org/

  3. Re: IPv6 and IPv4 conversion with Linux Router.

    Hello,

    Mark Hobley a écrit :

    > Why will we be forced to use IPv6?

    Because IPv4 will have become deprecated ? Of course it won't be before
    a long long time.

    > IPv4 traffic will still be routable, won't
    > it? There is an IP version number in the datagrams that tells routers that
    > IPv4 is being used.

    But what's the use of maintaining global IPv4 routing when IPv6 has been
    widely deployed and used ?

    > I have some funny things happening on my network actually, because I use IP4
    > here, but I notice that when Yahoo search engine connects to my website, it
    > appears to be using IPv6 addressing modes. Weird!

    If these IPv6 addresses are in the shape of ::ffff:a.b.c.d, these are
    IPv4 addresses mapped as IPv6 addresses, internally used on dual stack
    systems for IPv4 communications on IPv6 sockets.

  4. Re: IPv6 and IPv4 conversion with Linux Router.

    "RedPenguin" wrote in
    news:1174411503.420584.232540@l77g2000hsb.googlegr oups.com:

    > I currently have a system with a cable modem, ClarkConnect gateway, 3
    > Linksys switches, all doing only IPv4. I was wondering, when we are
    > forced to use Ipv6, can I just have my ClarkConnect gateway use IPv6
    > and IPv4 and not be forced to buy new switches?

    If the switches are layer 2 only then why would it matter as far as the
    switches go?

    Klazmon.

  5. Re: IPv6 and IPv4 conversion with Linux Router.

    On Mar 21, 12:52 am, Llanzlan Klazmon the 15th
    wrote:
    > "RedPenguin" wrote innews:1174411503.420584.232540@l77g2000hsb.google groups.com:
    >
    > > I currently have a system with a cable modem, ClarkConnect gateway, 3
    > > Linksys switches, all doing only IPv4. I was wondering, when we are
    > > forced to use Ipv6, can I just have my ClarkConnect gateway use IPv6
    > > and IPv4 and not be forced to buy new switches?

    > If the switches are layer 2 only then why would it matter as far as the
    > switches go?
    >
    > Klazmon.

    I didn't mean the switches, I meant my routers.

+ Reply to Thread