HTTP port to the Internet blocked - Networking

This is a discussion on HTTP port to the Internet blocked - Networking ; Hi! I have a serious problem on my home "Linux" network. I have two computers: mandriva and asplinux. mandriva is directly connected to the internet. All the ports work that means I can use different messengers, read and send mails ...

  1. HTTP port to the Internet blocked

    Hi!

    I have a serious problem on my home "Linux" network. I have two
    computers: mandriva and asplinux. mandriva is directly connected to the
    internet. All the ports work that means I can use different messengers,
    read and send mails and access HTTP and HTTPS websites. asplinux is
    connected to the internet through mandriva. On asplinux, I cannot access
    any Internet websites but the "Apache" websites from mandriva on the
    ports 80 and 443 are accessible. Why is that? I have no
    firewall in neither machine. I have tested to connect asplinux directly
    to the internet and then the HTTP sites have been accessible but not
    through mandriva.

    There is also another problem. Lately I messed with NFS and "Samba"
    servers in order to share out all the partitions on both computers.
    After restarting mandriva many services do not start automatically like
    sshd, httpd, xinetd... I have to start them manually although the
    services are marked to start automatically. Earlier were also HTTP
    Internet sites
    accessible from asplinux through mandriva. I guess that file sharing
    servers messed up something but I cannot find out what. Can somebody
    give some advices what to do?
    --
    *_________________________________________________ _________________*
    *Kalmer** Piiskop/ Pandeero, MSc.*

    *Eduard** Vilde t. 53-96*

    *EE13412 **Tallinn*

    *Euroopa Liit*

    http://web.starman.ee/pandeero/

    *+372 652 4228*

    *+372 5620 4556*
    *ICQ#: 101982503*

    *+* *More ways to contact me *

    *Basler** Kantonalbank: 16 5.402.481.70*

    *Eesti** √úhispank: *10010022948010

    Hansapank: 1107112667

    *_________________________________________________ _________________*

  2. Re: HTTP port to the Internet blocked

    Kalmer Piiskop writes:

    > I have a serious problem on my home "Linux" network. I have two
    > computers: mandriva and asplinux. mandriva is directly connected to the
    > internet. All the ports work that means I can use different messengers,
    > read and send mails and access HTTP and HTTPS websites. asplinux is
    > connected to the internet through mandriva. On asplinux, I cannot access
    > any Internet websites but the "Apache" websites from mandriva on the
    > ports 80 and 443 are accessible. Why is that? I have no
    > firewall in neither machine. I have tested to connect asplinux directly
    > to the internet and then the HTTP sites have been accessible but not
    > through mandriva.

    Sounds like you are forgetting to set up masquerading on your
    Mandriva-box.

    --
    Jacob

  3. Re: HTTP port to the Internet blocked

    On Tue, 20 Mar 2007 17:12:30 +0200, Kalmer Piiskop wrote:

    > Hi!
    >
    > I have a serious problem on my home "Linux" network. I have two computers:
    > mandriva and asplinux. mandriva is directly connected to the internet. All
    > the ports work that means I can use different messengers, read and send
    > mails and access HTTP and HTTPS websites. asplinux is connected to the
    > internet through mandriva. On asplinux, I cannot access any Internet
    > websites but the "Apache" websites from mandriva on the ports 80 and 443
    > are accessible. Why is that? I have no firewall in neither machine. I have
    > tested to connect asplinux directly to the internet and then the HTTP
    > sites have been accessible but not through mandriva.

    You will need some sort of firewall on "mandriva" to provide
    "masquerading" for "asplinux".

    > There is also another problem. Lately I messed with NFS and "Samba"
    > servers in order to share out all the partitions on both computers.
    > After restarting mandriva many services do not start automatically like
    > sshd, httpd, xinetd... I have to start them manually although the
    > services are marked to start automatically. Earlier were also HTTP
    > Internet sites accessible from asplinux through mandriva. I guess that
    > file sharing servers messed up something but I cannot find out what. Can
    > somebody give some advices what to do?

    This suggests that you have put something in your NFS and/or Samba startup
    scripts which is hanging and causing the rest of service startup to stall.
    This may also be causing the script which used to set up the iptables
    rules for masqueradinf not to be run. Start off by disabling these new
    services and see if it goes back as it was before.

    Regards, Ian

+ Reply to Thread