MOUNT failed to NFS - Networking

This is a discussion on MOUNT failed to NFS - Networking ; Hi, I configed my XP as a router so that my development board talk to LINUX box, XP and LINUX box are both hooked to company network. I can do nc through port 2049 and other ports. but when I ...

  1. MOUNT failed to NFS

    Hi,

    I configed my XP as a router so that my development board talk to
    LINUX box, XP and LINUX box are both hooked to company network.

    I can do nc through port 2049 and other ports. but when I tried to
    mount from the development board to LINUX box, it gave error: mount:
    RPC Timed out. I know my NFS server is correct, I tried to mount
    through NFS from other machines, they are correct.

    So, problem is from my development board or the router. But I can do
    nc to transfer files over the 2049 port. The problem is definitely
    from my board? any idea how to dig in?

    I even monitoed the traffic on my XP network card, it never received
    the traffic from my board though? Could it be possible my company's
    firewall are blocking NFS? how come the 2049 port is still OK in this
    case?

    thanks
    patrick

  2. Re: MOUNT failed to NFS

    PZ wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I configed my XP as a router so that my development board talk to
    > LINUX box, XP and LINUX box are both hooked to company network.
    >
    > I can do nc through port 2049 and other ports. but when I tried to
    > mount from the development board to LINUX box, it gave error: mount:
    > RPC Timed out. I know my NFS server is correct, I tried to mount
    > through NFS from other machines, they are correct.
    >
    > So, problem is from my development board or the router. But I can do
    > nc to transfer files over the 2049 port. The problem is definitely
    > from my board? any idea how to dig in?
    >
    > I even monitoed the traffic on my XP network card, it never received
    > the traffic from my board though? Could it be possible my company's
    > firewall are blocking NFS? how come the 2049 port is still OK in this
    > case?

    The firewall may block just ports between 1 and 1024 (service ports).
    try to connect via `telnet 111`. If your output is like
    Trying ...
    Connected to .
    Escape character is '^]'.

    the connection is ok, otherwise there might be an access or firewall
    problem. Do you see the packages from your XP box arriving at the NFS box?

    tcpdump -vvv -i dst port 22 and src
    i.E.
    tcpdump -vvv -i eth0 dst port 22 and src www.xxx.yyy.zzz

    If you get an output for port 22, it might be an access problem.

    Eric

  3. Re: MOUNT failed to NFS

    Eric wrote:
    > PZ wrote:
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> I configed my XP as a router so that my development board talk to
    >> LINUX box, XP and LINUX box are both hooked to company network.
    >>
    >> I can do nc through port 2049 and other ports. but when I tried to
    >> mount from the development board to LINUX box, it gave error: mount:
    >> RPC Timed out. I know my NFS server is correct, I tried to mount
    >> through NFS from other machines, they are correct.
    >>
    >> So, problem is from my development board or the router. But I can do
    >> nc to transfer files over the 2049 port. The problem is definitely
    >> from my board? any idea how to dig in?
    >>
    >> I even monitoed the traffic on my XP network card, it never received
    >> the traffic from my board though? Could it be possible my company's
    >> firewall are blocking NFS? how come the 2049 port is still OK in this
    >> case?

    > The firewall may block just ports between 1 and 1024 (service ports).
    > try to connect via `telnet 111`. If your output is like
    > Trying ...
    > Connected to .
    > Escape character is '^]'.
    >
    > the connection is ok, otherwise there might be an access or firewall
    > problem. Do you see the packages from your XP box arriving at the NFS box?
    >
    > tcpdump -vvv -i dst port 22 and src
    > i.E.
    > tcpdump -vvv -i eth0 dst port 22 and src www.xxx.yyy.zzz
    >
    > If you get an output for port 22, it might be an access problem.

    It would also be interesting if any traffic from the firewall is
    received for that service at the SSHD server.

    tcpdump -vvv -i dst port 22 and src

    Eric

  4. Re: MOUNT failed to NFS

    Eric wrote:
    > Eric wrote:
    >> PZ wrote:
    >>> Hi,
    >>>
    >>> I configed my XP as a router so that my development board talk to
    >>> LINUX box, XP and LINUX box are both hooked to company network.
    >>>
    >>> I can do nc through port 2049 and other ports. but when I tried to
    >>> mount from the development board to LINUX box, it gave error: mount:
    >>> RPC Timed out. I know my NFS server is correct, I tried to mount
    >>> through NFS from other machines, they are correct.
    >>>
    >>> So, problem is from my development board or the router. But I can do
    >>> nc to transfer files over the 2049 port. The problem is definitely
    >>> from my board? any idea how to dig in?
    >>>
    >>> I even monitoed the traffic on my XP network card, it never received
    >>> the traffic from my board though? Could it be possible my company's
    >>> firewall are blocking NFS? how come the 2049 port is still OK in this
    >>> case?

    >> The firewall may block just ports between 1 and 1024 (service ports).
    >> try to connect via `telnet 111`. If your output is like
    >> Trying ...
    >> Connected to .
    >> Escape character is '^]'.
    >>
    >> the connection is ok, otherwise there might be an access or firewall
    >> problem. Do you see the packages from your XP box arriving at the NFS box?
    >>
    >> tcpdump -vvv -i dst port 22 and src
    >> i.E.
    >> tcpdump -vvv -i eth0 dst port 22 and src www.xxx.yyy.zzz
    >>
    >> If you get an output for port 22, it might be an access problem.

    > It would also be interesting if any traffic from the firewall is
    > received for that service at the SSHD server.
    >
    > tcpdump -vvv -i dst port 22 and src

    Sorry, of course i mean dst port 111 instead of 22.

    Eric

+ Reply to Thread