Unmounting NFS directory when it is not available - Networking

This is a discussion on Unmounting NFS directory when it is not available - Networking ; With my laptop, it often happens that I have NFS mounted directories still mounted, even though their hosts are no longer available via network. (because the laptop is physically removed). Unmounting them seemingly gets stuck. How can I force unmounting ...

  1. Unmounting NFS directory when it is not available

    With my laptop, it often happens that I have NFS mounted directories
    still mounted, even though their hosts are no longer available via
    network. (because the laptop is physically removed). Unmounting them
    seemingly gets stuck. How can I force unmounting without talking to
    the server. Thanks.

  2. Re: Unmounting NFS directory when it is not available

    On Mon, 19 Mar 2007 17:11:42 -0500, Ignoramus3938 wrote:

    >With my laptop, it often happens that I have NFS mounted directories
    >still mounted, even though their hosts are no longer available via
    >network. (because the laptop is physically removed). Unmounting them
    >seemingly gets stuck. How can I force unmounting without talking to
    >the server. Thanks.

    umount -f
    It takes a long time to finish, but be patient.

  3. Re: Unmounting NFS directory when it is not available

    On Tue, 20 Mar 2007 02:56:26 GMT, AZ Nomad
    wrote:

    >On Mon, 19 Mar 2007 17:11:42 -0500, Ignoramus3938 wrote:
    >

    >>With my laptop, it often happens that I have NFS mounted directories
    >>still mounted, even though their hosts are no longer available via
    >>network. (because the laptop is physically removed). Unmounting them
    >>seemingly gets stuck. How can I force unmounting without talking to
    >>the server. Thanks.

    >umount -f
    >It takes a long time to finish, but be patient.

    You may also want to try umount -l (as in Lazy)

+ Reply to Thread