Calculating Upload and Download Rate - Networking

This is a discussion on Calculating Upload and Download Rate - Networking ; I want to calculate my node's upload and download speed every 30 secs so that I can inform my peers about my connection speed. My node is running Linux OS. I would like to know if there's a variable that ...

  1. Calculating Upload and Download Rate

    I want to calculate my node's upload and download speed every 30 secs
    so that I can inform my peers about my connection speed. My node is
    running Linux OS. I would like to know if there's a variable that I
    can peek under /proc which will have a most up to date value of my
    node's upload and download rate. If not, how do I calculate those
    values. I really appreciate any help.

    Thanks

  2. Re: Calculating Upload and Download Rate

    On Mon, 19 Mar 2007, prabhu.ss@gmail.com wrote:

    > I want to calculate my node's upload and download speed every 30 secs
    > so that I can inform my peers about my connection speed. My node is
    > running Linux OS. I would like to know if there's a variable that I
    > can peek under /proc which will have a most up to date value of my
    > node's upload and download rate. If not, how do I calculate those
    > values. I really appreciate any help.
    >
    > Thanks

    There is nothing like this in /proc that I know of. Your upload/download
    rates are dependent on the host you are uploading to / downloading from.
    You could write a script that sends and receives packets from one end of
    the link to the other and times their responses. I recall Apache having
    some sort of bandwidth measuring module or something like that. I can't
    remember exactly what it was (or did) though.

    --
    Sir Jackery

+ Reply to Thread