hi - Networking

This is a discussion on hi - Networking ; hi linuxgurus i have been asked in one interview that the DHCP server having two NIC cards . how the client machine get the ip address from DHCP server from which NIC card waiting for reply thanks in advance ravi...

  1. hi

    hi linuxgurus

    i have been asked in one interview that the DHCP server having two
    NIC cards . how the client machine get the ip address from DHCP
    server from which NIC card

    waiting for reply
    thanks in advance

    ravi

  2. Re: hi

    In comp.os.linux.networking ksravi29@gmail.com :
    > hi linuxgurus

    > i have been asked in one interview that the DHCP server having two
    > NIC cards . how the client machine get the ip address from DHCP
    > server from which NIC card

    > waiting for reply

    Sounds as if you asked for an admin type position? Not knowing
    the answer isn't a big problem, there is just to much stuff to
    know anything. However, not knowing how to find the answer makes
    me curious if you were the right person for the job?

    Presuming I would not know the answer, the next xterm should get
    me going, like this:

    $ man -k dhcp
    dhclient-script (8) - DHCP client network configuration
    script
    dhclient.conf [dhclient] (5) - DHCP client configuration file
    dhclient.leases [dhclient] (5) - DHCP client lease database
    dhcp-eval (5) - ISC DHCP conditional evaluation
    dhcp-options (5) - Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol options
    dhcpd (8) - Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol Server
    dhcpd.conf [dhcpd] (5) - dhcpd configuration file
    dhcpd.leases [dhcpd] (5) - DHCP client lease database

    Mh, there are quite some man pages concerning dhclient, but we
    just want to look at the server:

    $ man -k dhcpd
    dhcpd (8) - Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol Server
    dhcpd.conf [dhcpd] (5) - dhcpd configuration file
    dhcpd.leases [dhcpd] (5) - DHCP client lease database

    You might find ways to gather such information even faster, after
    some time on your own...

    Now this looks fine, after a short look I should have picked how
    to restrict dhcpd to a certain device. Now the option should be
    somehow handed over to dhcpd during startup, its init script
    should show which /etc/sysconfig/blah or alike is sourced or we
    just ask the package manager. Editing the file with vi(m) and
    restarting/reloading the service should be enough. You might want
    to monitor system logs if anything is working as expected and
    ensure the service is started during boot.

    To sum it up, if you really want to get closer to Linux, just
    start using it. Nothing else will improve your knowledge more.
    Stay away from any GUI config tools, they'll teach you nothing,
    just stay at the shell. You might find ways to gather such
    information

    Good luck

    #bofh excuse 253: We've run out of licenses

  3. Re: hi

    On Sat, 17 Mar 2007 04:21:11 -0700, ksravi29@gmail.com wrote:

    > hi linuxgurus
    >
    > i have been asked in one interview that the DHCP server having two
    > NIC cards . how the client machine get the ip address from DHCP
    > server from which NIC card
    >
    > waiting for reply
    > thanks in advance
    >
    > ravi

    How about just connecting one.

  4. Re: hi

    ksravi29@gmail.com wrote:
    > hi linuxgurus
    >
    > i have been asked in one interview that the DHCP server having two
    > NIC cards . how the client machine get the ip address from DHCP
    > server from which NIC card

    Depends on which interface ("NIC") you've set the DHCP server to
    listen on. If on both, the client could get an ip suggested from
    both, but will reject one and just use/lease the other (well, should
    work that way at least as far as I know... ;-)

    - Jan

  5. Re: hi

    In comp.os.linux.networking Jan Wagner :
    > ksravi29@gmail.com wrote:
    >> hi linuxgurus

    >> i have been asked in one interview that the DHCP server having two
    >> NIC cards . how the client machine get the ip address from DHCP
    >> server from which NIC card

    > Depends on which interface ("NIC") you've set the DHCP server to
    > listen on. If on both, the client could get an ip suggested from
    > both, but will reject one and just use/lease the other (well, should
    > work that way at least as far as I know... ;-)

    Indeed, after rereading it seems I misread the question. It
    seems strange why the Client should see both the dhcp server nics
    at all?

    If they are all in the same lan it will not work out unless the
    server uses a bonded interface out of both, in which case one
    would just bind the dhcp server to the bonding device.

    #bofh excuse 10: hardware stress fractures

+ Reply to Thread