routing(forwarding) - Networking

This is a discussion on routing(forwarding) - Networking ; Hi to everybody!! I have a little problem: a server with linux and 2 pci cards(A and B) on a different subnet and 2 LAN linked on this 2 cards. The problem is this:when i used the mandrakes's tool to ...

  1. routing(forwarding)

    Hi to everybody!!
    I have a little problem: a server with linux and 2 pci cards(A and B) on a
    different subnet and 2 LAN linked on this 2 cards.
    The problem is this:when i used the mandrakes's tool to configure the
    network, it asked me which one was to LAN connected and which one to WAN.
    Effectively on the eth1 i have a LAN but also a router (and so my WAN).
    this is my network:

    LAN(internal)->eth0 (server linux) eth1<- LAN(external)/WAN

    with eth0: 192.168.0.0/24 (LAN)
    and eth1: 192.168.1.0/24 (LAN/WAN)

    now i would like this to networks could see each other (as a bridge)and
    instead actually only one can see the other!!(the eth0 see eth1 but not the
    opposite!!)
    I add that I haven't a firewall that block them and for the subnet's problem
    i have applyed a masquerading(To 0.0.0.0/0 (all) from 192.168.1.0/24
    through eth0 and
    To 0.0.0.0/0 (all) from 192.168.0.0/24 through eth1)
    Any suggest?thank you!
    Andrea

  2. Re: routing(forwarding)

    Hi,

    Andrea Vescovo wrote:
    > now i would like this to networks could see each other (as a bridge)and
    > instead actually only one can see the other!!(the eth0 see eth1 but not the
    > opposite!!)

    Perhaps, google "bridge-utils" and brctl. That's one way to do this.

    - Jan

  3. Re: routing(forwarding)

    Andrea Vescovo wrote:
    > Hi to everybody!!
    > I have a little problem: a server with linux and 2 pci cards(A and B) on a
    > different subnet and 2 LAN linked on this 2 cards.
    > The problem is this:when i used the mandrakes's tool to configure the
    > network, it asked me which one was to LAN connected and which one to WAN.
    > Effectively on the eth1 i have a LAN but also a router (and so my WAN).
    > this is my network:

    > LAN(internal)->eth0 (server linux) eth1<- LAN(external)/WAN

    > with eth0: 192.168.0.0/24 (LAN)
    > and eth1: 192.168.1.0/24 (LAN/WAN)

    > now i would like this to networks could see each other (as a bridge)and
    > instead actually only one can see the other!!(the eth0 see eth1 but not the
    > opposite!!)

    Note that "see" can be obscure if you are not the seer. So if bridge
    has anything to do with the problem then my response is way off-base.

    > I add that I haven't a firewall that block them and for the subnet's problem
    > i have applyed a masquerading (To 0.0.0.0/0 (all) from 192.168.1.0/24
    > through eth0 and To 0.0.0.0/0 (all) from 192.168.0.0/24 through eth1)

    I think, but am not certain, that you should only need the rule on
    (server linux) generated by:

    iptables -t nat -A POSTROUTING -o eth1 -s 192.168.0.0/24 \
    -d ! 192.168.1.0/24 -j MASQUERADE

    Masquerading SNATs to the IP address of the outgoing interface, which
    in your case would be the private IP address of eth1. That private
    address requires another stage of NATing to a public IP source address
    before being sent to the Internet, which I assume exists. So you want to
    limit masquerading to 192.168.0.0/24 on linux server. And you don't want
    linux server to masquerade traffic it sends to eth1 with a destination
    address in 192.168.1.0/24.

    I don't use mandrake and so don't know how to generate the same rule
    using the tool to which you refer.

    --
    Clifford Kite
    /* The generation of random numbers is too important to be left

+ Reply to Thread