Google Earth + LINUX LapTop + GPS == Navigation?? - Networking

This is a discussion on Google Earth + LINUX LapTop + GPS == Navigation?? - Networking ; Now that I made my linux laptop use my Motorola cell phone as a modem, I would like to explore a little bit a possibility of using said laptop for "mobile GPS navigation". Here's what I know 1) My linux ...

  1. Google Earth + LINUX LapTop + GPS == Navigation??

    Now that I made my linux laptop use my Motorola cell phone as a modem,
    I would like to explore a little bit a possibility of using said
    laptop for "mobile GPS navigation".

    Here's what I know

    1) My linux laptop can have networking using cell phone as a modem

    2) I get about 100 kbps and 1-1.5 second ping latency (ping
    google.com)

    3) Google Earth is available for Linux

    4) I have a Garmin Ique GPS system. I would not mind buying smoe cheap
    "serial port GPS" to get GPS data of Ique is not supported by linux
    (which I do not know).

    Here's what I want, in order of priority:

    * Drive around with my laptop and see the map on the screen

    * Get directions to where I want to go.

    Has anyone tried anything like this.

    Thanks

  2. Re: Google Earth + LINUX LapTop + GPS == Navigation??

    Using here a LINUX client of Google Earth the free one and couldn't find the
    feature of using GPS with this client.
    LINUX has a device to use serial ports and isn't depend of the GPS device if
    this GPS device provides data via a serial port.

    Regards,

    Ralf

  3. Re: Google Earth + LINUX LapTop + GPS == Navigation??

    On Mar 16, 10:17 am, Ignoramus12697 12697.invalid> wrote:
    > .... I would not mind buying smoe cheap
    > "serial port GPS" to get GPS data of Ique is not supported by linux
    > (which I do not know).

    My Motorola cell phone (i530) has GPS built in. Perhaps you don't
    even need to buy something. Ask on one of the cell phone forums such
    as WirelessAdvisor.com, and see if you can get that data into the
    computer.

    -- J.S.

  4. Re: Google Earth + LINUX LapTop + GPS == Navigation??

    Ignoramus12697 wrote:

    > Now that I made my linux laptop use my Motorola cell phone as a modem,
    > I would like to explore a little bit a possibility of using said
    > laptop for "mobile GPS navigation".
    >
    > Here's what I know
    >
    > 1) My linux laptop can have networking using cell phone as a modem
    >
    > 2) I get about 100 kbps and 1-1.5 second ping latency (ping
    > google.com)
    >
    > 3) Google Earth is available for Linux
    >
    > 4) I have a Garmin Ique GPS system. I would not mind buying smoe cheap
    > "serial port GPS" to get GPS data of Ique is not supported by linux
    > (which I do not know).
    >
    > Here's what I want, in order of priority:
    >
    > * Drive around with my laptop and see the map on the screen
    >
    > * Get directions to where I want to go.
    >
    > Has anyone tried anything like this.

    The semi-standard way of doing things on linux is to use gpsd or one of
    its variants to let software talk to your GPS. You can pretty much use
    gpsd with any NMEA device over any connection (bluetooth, usb, serial),
    given a driver :-) is the web site. Look for
    compatibility.

    After that, it's mapping with GPSdrive:

    I'm not sure what googleEarth will give you on linux. But you want to
    get ahold of gpsbabel and maybe one of its GUI apps.
    You can use this to make KML for GE.

    HTH.

+ Reply to Thread