Debian: eth0 loses network configuration - Networking

This is a discussion on Debian: eth0 loses network configuration - Networking ; Hi folks, I'm running a Sarge system on a Commell LV-671 board with an Intel-82541PI-Gigabit-NIC. I configured it in /etc/network/interfaces like this: # The primary network interface auto eth0 iface eth0 inet static address 10.200.40.2 netmask 255.255.255.0 broadcast 10.200.40.255 network ...

  1. Debian: eth0 loses network configuration

    Hi folks,

    I'm running a Sarge system on a Commell LV-671 board with an
    Intel-82541PI-Gigabit-NIC. I configured it in /etc/network/interfaces
    like this:

    # The primary network interface
    auto eth0
    iface eth0 inet static
    address 10.200.40.2
    netmask 255.255.255.0
    broadcast 10.200.40.255
    network 10.200.40.0
    gateway 10.1.0.254

    In my opinion, the gateway-line should be commented out, but I was
    overuled. Roumors say, it didn't change anything, I haven't tried and
    seen it myself yet, though.

    When entering runlevel 2, a script is called, setting a default gateway
    to be able to connect to the system from the 10.1.0.0 network:

    /sbin/route add -host 10.1.0.254 eth0
    /sbin/route add default gw 10.1.0.254

    (only relevant parts - the 10.200.0.0 network is not able to connect to
    the internet)

    This seems to work fine. In our network, there is a DHCP server. After a
    certain time, eth0 "drops" its network address and plays around with the
    DHCP server. Say: It fetches an IP address and reconfigures. The only
    thing conspicious I could find, is the following message in the kernel
    logs:

    Mar 14 09:17:02 localhost kernel: e1000: eth0: e1000_watchdog: NIC Link
    is Up 1000 Mbps Full Duplex

    It pops up from time to time, without claiming the link having been down
    before. So I can find this message several times in a row in the kernel
    log. Every time this message appears, I have to face the described
    problem. It find it quite interesting, that one time, it works for
    hours, even days, but some other time, only for ten minutes. Then maybe
    again for two hours... So there are always different intervals.

    /etc/init.d/networking restart (and executing the routing script)
    works for the time described above. It says "network unreachable",
    though, but I'm quite sure that this is caused by the unknown gateway
    (10.1.0.254). I assume that this is also the reason for the "failed to
    bring up eth0" message, that follows right after the "network
    unreachable" line?

    Any ideas?

    Muffi

  2. Re: Debian: eth0 loses network configuration

    On Wed, 14 Mar 2007, Björn Marschollek wrote:

    > Hi folks,
    >
    > I'm running a Sarge system on a Commell LV-671 board with an
    > Intel-82541PI-Gigabit-NIC. I configured it in /etc/network/interfaces
    > like this:
    >
    > # The primary network interface
    > auto eth0
    > iface eth0 inet static
    > address 10.200.40.2
    > netmask 255.255.255.0
    > broadcast 10.200.40.255
    > network 10.200.40.0
    > gateway 10.1.0.254
    >

    > In my opinion, the gateway-line should be commented out, but I was
    > overuled. Roumors say, it didn't change anything, I haven't tried and
    > seen it myself yet, though.
    >
    > When entering runlevel 2, a script is called, setting a default gateway
    > to be able to connect to the system from the 10.1.0.0 network:
    >
    > /sbin/route add -host 10.1.0.254 eth0
    > /sbin/route add default gw 10.1.0.254
    >
    > (only relevant parts - the 10.200.0.0 network is not able to connect to
    > the internet)
    >
    > This seems to work fine. In our network, there is a DHCP server. After a
    > certain time, eth0 "drops" its network address and plays around with the
    > DHCP server. Say: It fetches an IP address and reconfigures. The only
    > thing conspicious I could find, is the following message in the kernel
    > logs:
    >
    > Mar 14 09:17:02 localhost kernel: e1000: eth0: e1000_watchdog: NIC Link
    > is Up 1000 Mbps Full Duplex
    >
    > It pops up from time to time, without claiming the link having been down
    > before. So I can find this message several times in a row in the kernel
    > log. Every time this message appears, I have to face the described
    > problem. It find it quite interesting, that one time, it works for
    > hours, even days, but some other time, only for ten minutes. Then maybe
    > again for two hours... So there are always different intervals.
    >
    > /etc/init.d/networking restart (and executing the routing script)
    > works for the time described above. It says "network unreachable",
    > though, but I'm quite sure that this is caused by the unknown gateway
    > (10.1.0.254). I assume that this is also the reason for the "failed to
    > bring up eth0" message, that follows right after the "network
    > unreachable" line?
    >

    > Any ideas?

    It sounds like a driver issue. Try using a different or newer version
    of the driver.

    --
    Sir Jackery

  3. Re: Debian: eth0 loses network configuration

    > It sounds like a driver issue. Try using a different or newer version of
    > the driver.

    Changing the motherboard fixed it. The same problem occured on other
    operation systems, too...

+ Reply to Thread