Hello,
I am quite new to all this Linux networking stuff and need a little help.
I have a Win2K machine that is on the same wired 100T network as a 700MHz
P3 fileserver.
On the fileserver I have installed Fedora 6.
I have made sa directory called /data and chmod 777 that dir, so the world
can see it.
may smb.conf file is very simple, as its the first time I have played with
Samba:
[global]
encrypt passwords = yes
workgroup = workgroup
security = user

[data]
path = /data
read only = no
browseable = yes

I can start the samba daemons:
/etc/rc.d/init.d/smb start

when I do a ps -ef|grep smbd I get 2 processes called smbd, is this
correct?

Now if I log into my windows box, it finds the share /data, and I can map a
drive. However 9 time out of 10, I only have read access.

If I go back to my Linux box and kill one of the smbd processes I can
sometimes, get the setup to work. Once working all is fine and I can log
out of windows, and back in and I still have my drive.

Any ideas how to proceed, so I have a robust setup?

Many regards,
John.