multiuser sound (esd) - Networking

This is a discussion on multiuser sound (esd) - Networking ; Does anyone know how I am supposed to start esd on a per-user basis? I have multiple users on the same machine, and would like to give each one their own sound card. I've found references to multi-user esd use, ...

  1. multiuser sound (esd)

    Does anyone know how I am supposed to start esd on a per-user basis? I
    have multiple users on the same machine, and would like to give each one
    their own sound card.

    I've found references to multi-user esd use, but not one snippet of
    config or a HOWTO....

    Basically, what I want to do is to:

    on user login, start esd with the appropriate device for that user; e.g.

    esd -d /dev/dsp1 -tcp -port NNN
    and then set
    ESPEAKER=127.0.0.1:NNN

    And for another user,

    esd -d /dev/dsp2 -tcp -port PPP
    and then set
    ESPEAKER=127.0.0.1:PPP

    But I haven't figured out where I stick this stuff so that esd gets
    started when the user logs in and gets killed when the user logs out.

    So... Any HOWTOs out there for esd?

    Thanks,

    --Yan

  2. Re: multiuser sound (esd)

    CptDondo :
    > Does anyone know how I am supposed to start esd on a per-user basis? I

    Why? I run a esd_init script at boot that starts up esd
    ("Enlightenment Sound _Daemon_"), which handles all sound.

    > But I haven't figured out where I stick this stuff so that esd gets
    > started when the user logs in and gets killed when the user logs out.

    Why? Start it up, then let the daemon handle calls to it.

    (*) http://www.spots.ab.ca/~keeling Linux Counter #80292
    Spammers! http://www.spots.ab.ca/~keeling/emails.html

+ Reply to Thread