CentOS (RHEL) apache encoding - Networking

This is a discussion on CentOS (RHEL) apache encoding - Networking ; Hi folks, somewhat of a new boy to this webserver lark but.. In a new installation of CentOS (httpd-2.0.52-28.ent.centos4), the default encoding in httpd.conf is AddDefaultCharset UTF-8 We are a small UK based hosting company, customers are having problems with ...

  1. CentOS (RHEL) apache encoding

    Hi folks,
    somewhat of a new boy to this webserver lark but..

    In a new installation of CentOS
    (httpd-2.0.52-28.ent.centos4), the default encoding in
    httpd.conf is
    AddDefaultCharset UTF-8

    We are a small UK based hosting company, customers are
    having problems
    with odd character being displayed on their websites
    whenever they use
    the UK pound sterling sign £ and a few others.

    A colleage changed the httpd.conf line to
    AddDefaultCharset BS_4730

    This solved the immediate problem but caused some W3C
    validation problems and broke an XMLHttpRequest() issue in
    explorer with some sites.

    I changed the value to
    AddDefaultCharset ISO-8859-1
    This solved the UK pound sign problem and the W3C validation
    problem (unless the customer's web page specifically stated
    Then it broke
    validation AND odd character issues)

    As you can guess, we are fumbling around in the dark here.

    If it helps..... pstree on the local vc looks fine, but from
    a windows machine using an ssh client the line drawing
    characters are a mess. I have tried pstree -U and pstree -G,
    they just cause a different mess.

    I would love to think that the problems are related and one
    simple locale option - or similar - will solve all of these
    , but I'm out of ideas.

    Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Cheers
    Andy

  2. Re: CentOS (RHEL) apache encoding

    Andy napisaĊ‚(a):
    > Hi folks,
    > somewhat of a new boy to this webserver lark but..
    >
    > In a new installation of CentOS (httpd-2.0.52-28.ent.centos4), the
    > default encoding in httpd.conf is
    > AddDefaultCharset UTF-8
    >
    > We are a small UK based hosting company, customers are having problems
    > with odd character being displayed on their websites whenever they use
    > the UK pound sterling sign £ and a few others.
    >
    > A colleage changed the httpd.conf line to
    > AddDefaultCharset BS_4730
    >
    > This solved the immediate problem but caused some W3C validation
    > problems and broke an XMLHttpRequest() issue in explorer with some sites.
    >
    > I changed the value to
    > AddDefaultCharset ISO-8859-1
    > This solved the UK pound sign problem and the W3C validation problem
    > (unless the customer's web page specifically stated > encoding="UTF-8"?> Then it broke validation AND odd character issues)
    >
    > As you can guess, we are fumbling around in the dark here.
    >
    > If it helps..... pstree on the local vc looks fine, but from a windows
    > machine using an ssh client the line drawing characters are a mess. I
    > have tried pstree -U and pstree -G, they just cause a different mess.
    >
    > I would love to think that the problems are related and one simple
    > locale option - or similar - will solve all of these , but I'm out of
    > ideas.

    You should set
    AddDefaultCharset Off
    then Apache won't enforce necoding and then browsers will read encoding
    from xml header or from meta in xhtml/html.

    --
    greetings
    Sebastian

+ Reply to Thread