How to load an Ethernet driver on only one adapter - Networking

This is a discussion on How to load an Ethernet driver on only one adapter - Networking ; Hi, I'm using a PC with two Intel Gigabit adapters (i8254x). When Linux (RedHat 7.2, kernel 2.4.24) boots, it calls "insmod e1000.o" and the driver initializes and takes control of both adapters. Is there a way to restrict the e1000 ...

  1. How to load an Ethernet driver on only one adapter

    Hi,

    I'm using a PC with two Intel Gigabit adapters (i8254x). When Linux
    (RedHat 7.2, kernel 2.4.24) boots, it calls "insmod e1000.o" and the
    driver initializes and takes control of both adapters. Is there a way to
    restrict the e1000 driver to only one adapter? I've searched in the
    driver parameters but there is nothing obvious.
    Thanks,

    Cyril.

  2. Re: How to load an Ethernet driver on only one adapter

    On 02/21/2007 09:05 PM, Cyril Perrin wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I'm using a PC with two Intel Gigabit adapters (i8254x). When Linux
    > (RedHat 7.2, kernel 2.4.24) boots, it calls "insmod e1000.o" and the
    > driver initializes and takes control of both adapters. Is there a way to
    > restrict the e1000 driver to only one adapter? I've searched in the
    > driver parameters but there is nothing obvious.
    > Thanks,

    Redhat 7.2 has ended it's life a long ago, why don't get and install
    some latest distro?

    Not sure about 7.2, but you just need to put one of these down with:

    # ifdown eth[0|1] # choose either 0 or 1

    Anu'z Linux@HOME Machines: #168573, 170593, 259192
    Chandigarh, UT, 160062, India Gentoo, Fedora, Knoppix/FreeBSD/XP

  3. Re: How to load an Ethernet driver on only one adapter

    Balwinder S "bsd" Dheeman wrote:
    > On 02/21/2007 09:05 PM, Cyril Perrin wrote:
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> I'm using a PC with two Intel Gigabit adapters (i8254x). When Linux
    >> (RedHat 7.2, kernel 2.4.24) boots, it calls "insmod e1000.o" and the
    >> driver initializes and takes control of both adapters. Is there a way to
    >> restrict the e1000 driver to only one adapter? I've searched in the
    >> driver parameters but there is nothing obvious.
    >> Thanks,

    > Redhat 7.2 has ended it's life a long ago, why don't get and install
    > some latest distro?
    >
    > Not sure about 7.2, but you just need to put one of these down with:
    >
    > # ifdown eth[0|1] # choose either 0 or 1

    eth1 is not even up.
    Only eth0 is configured on my PC but the driver takes control of all the
    network adapters.
    It sounds like a limitation of insmod / e1000. I'm quite sure the latest
    distribution won't fix that.

  4. Re: How to load an Ethernet driver on only one adapter

    On Wed, 21 Feb 2007 10:35:59 -0500, in comp.os.linux.networking Cyril Perrin wrote:
    > I'm using a PC with two Intel Gigabit adapters (i8254x). When Linux
    > (RedHat 7.2, kernel 2.4.24) boots, it calls "insmod e1000.o" and the
    > driver initializes and takes control of both adapters. Is there a way to
    > restrict the e1000 driver to only one adapter? I've searched in the
    > driver parameters but there is nothing obvious.

    The following doesn't quite answer your question, but it
    may help.

    I'm running FC6. The driver module loaded for each of my
    ethernet interfaces is controlled by entries in
    /etc/modprobe.conf
    for example:
    alias eth0 3c59x
    alias eth1 e100

    As you can see, I have two different adpaters.

    I think RH 7.2 has a similar file, but I believe that the
    file was /etc/modules.conf. Try
    man modules.conf
    You may be able to set them to use different drivers, or
    even set one to have no driver:
    alias eth0 e1000
    alias eth1 off

    I never used RH 7.2 and I'm not sure this would work.

    There's a lot of info on the e1000 at
    http://www.intel.com/support/network/sb/cs-009209.htm
    but nothing about restricting it to one interface.

    --
    Dale Dellutri (lose the Q's)

  5. Re: How to load an Ethernet driver on only one adapter

    Cyril Perrin writes:

    >Balwinder S "bsd" Dheeman wrote:
    >> On 02/21/2007 09:05 PM, Cyril Perrin wrote:
    >>> Hi,
    >>>
    >>> I'm using a PC with two Intel Gigabit adapters (i8254x). When Linux
    >>> (RedHat 7.2, kernel 2.4.24) boots, it calls "insmod e1000.o" and the
    >>> driver initializes and takes control of both adapters. Is there a way to
    >>> restrict the e1000 driver to only one adapter? I've searched in the
    >>> driver parameters but there is nothing obvious.
    >>> Thanks,

    >> Redhat 7.2 has ended it's life a long ago, why don't get and install
    >> some latest distro?
    >>
    >> Not sure about 7.2, but you just need to put one of these down with:
    >>
    >> # ifdown eth[0|1] # choose either 0 or 1
    >>

    >eth1 is not even up.
    >Only eth0 is configured on my PC but the driver takes control of all the
    >network adapters.
    >It sounds like a limitation of insmod / e1000. I'm quite sure the latest
    >distribution won't fix that.

    What is the problem you are trying to fix? Why do you care if the driver
    takes controll of both cards?

  6. Re: How to load an Ethernet driver on only one adapter

    Cyril Perrin wrote:
    > I'm using a PC with two Intel Gigabit adapters (i8254x). When Linux
    > (RedHat 7.2, kernel 2.4.24) boots, it calls "insmod e1000.o" and the
    > driver initializes and takes control of both adapters. Is there a way to
    > restrict the e1000 driver to only one adapter? I've searched in the
    > driver parameters but there is nothing obvious.
    > Thanks,

    Perhaps in /etc/modules.conf

    IIRC, There are also some settings in /etc/sysconfig/network file.

    What exactly do you want to do? Disable to other card completely?

    --
    Milan Babuskov
    http://njam.sourceforge.net

  7. Re: How to load an Ethernet driver on only one adapter

    Hello,

    Dale Dellutri a écrit :
    > On Wed, 21 Feb 2007 10:35:59 -0500, in comp.os.linux.networking Cyril Perrin wrote:
    >
    >>I'm using a PC with two Intel Gigabit adapters (i8254x). When Linux
    >>(RedHat 7.2, kernel 2.4.24) boots, it calls "insmod e1000.o" and the
    >>driver initializes and takes control of both adapters. Is there a way to
    >>restrict the e1000 driver to only one adapter? I've searched in the
    >>driver parameters but there is nothing obvious.

    For what purpose is this needed ?

    > The following doesn't quite answer your question, but it
    > may help.
    >
    > I'm running FC6. The driver module loaded for each of my
    > ethernet interfaces is controlled by entries in
    > /etc/modprobe.conf
    > for example:
    > alias eth0 3c59x
    > alias eth1 e100

    This does not work. Don't use it. This is a misuse of the module aliases
    because it does not mean that the actual interface names match the alias
    names.

    > I think RH 7.2 has a similar file, but I believe that the
    > file was /etc/modules.conf. Try
    > man modules.conf
    > You may be able to set them to use different drivers, or
    > even set one to have no driver:
    > alias eth0 e1000
    > alias eth1 off
    >
    > I never used RH 7.2 and I'm not sure this would work.

    I do not need to use RH to know it does not work.
    When eth0 is invoked, the e1000 module is loaded, takes control of both
    adapters and creates eth0 and eth1.

  8. Re: How to load an Ethernet driver on only one adapter

    Pascal Hambourg wrote:
    > Dale Dellutri a écrit :
    >> On Wed, 21 Feb 2007 10:35:59 -0500, in comp.os.linux.networking Cyril
    >> Perrin wrote:
    >>
    >>> I'm using a PC with two Intel Gigabit adapters (i8254x). When Linux
    >>> (RedHat 7.2, kernel 2.4.24) boots, it calls "insmod e1000.o" and the
    >>> driver initializes and takes control of both adapters. Is there a way to
    >>> restrict the e1000 driver to only one adapter? I've searched in the
    >>> driver parameters but there is nothing obvious.

    > For what purpose is this needed ?
    >
    >> The following doesn't quite answer your question, but it
    >> may help.
    >>
    >> I'm running FC6. The driver module loaded for each of my
    >> ethernet interfaces is controlled by entries in
    >> /etc/modprobe.conf
    >> for example:
    >> alias eth0 3c59x
    >> alias eth1 e100

    > This does not work. Don't use it. This is a misuse of the module aliases
    > because it does not mean that the actual interface names match the alias
    > names.
    >
    >> I think RH 7.2 has a similar file, but I believe that the
    >> file was /etc/modules.conf. Try
    >> man modules.conf
    >> You may be able to set them to use different drivers, or
    >> even set one to have no driver:
    >> alias eth0 e1000
    >> alias eth1 off

    > I do not need to use RH to know it does not work.
    > When eth0 is invoked, the e1000 module is loaded, takes control of both
    > adapters and creates eth0 and eth1.

    As you say, the OP wasn't very clear on why he wanted to do this. If
    all he wanted to do was keep the second e1000 adapter from being
    recognized, that's not possible (and why would you want to do that
    anyway?) If some other adapter absolutely MUST be eth1, then it is
    possible to change the interface-name-to-adapter mapping after the
    modules load. However, I don't remember whether it was possible in RH
    7.2. The OP should see if "man nameif" works. If it does, the OP can
    either create the appropriate configuration file, or set HWADDR to the
    right MAC addresses in the interface startup scripts (can be done from
    the GUI tool if it was around back then).

  9. Re: How to load an Ethernet driver on only one adapter

    What about disabling the second network interface in the mb bios.
    Then linux will not see it.
    After that open e1000 source file, and rewrite section that probes for
    card to stop when found. But this could cause random switches to the
    active network interface. Used to do this way back in the 1.x kernels
    to force ne2000 cards to probe in the correct order.
    Robert

    On Wed, 21 Feb 2007 10:35:59 -0500, Cyril Perrin wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > I'm using a PC with two Intel Gigabit adapters (i8254x). When Linux
    > (RedHat 7.2, kernel 2.4.24) boots, it calls "insmod e1000.o" and the
    > driver initializes and takes control of both adapters. Is there a way to
    > restrict the e1000 driver to only one adapter? I've searched in the
    > driver parameters but there is nothing obvious.
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Cyril.

  10. Re: How to load an Ethernet driver on only one adapter

    I'm not the OP, but I could postulate that someone might want to be
    able to run two different versions of a driver, one "test" and one
    "production" or whatnot which could lead to wanting to have any given
    driver only claim a specific interface. To be sure, there are in
    theory other, perhaps even better ways to do it - different NIC types
    driven by different drivers to begin with, but I suppose it could be
    one motivation.

    rick jones

  11. Re: How to load an Ethernet driver on only one adapter

    On Wed, 21 Feb 2007 10:35:59 -0500, Cyril Perrin wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > I'm using a PC with two Intel Gigabit adapters (i8254x). When Linux
    > (RedHat 7.2, kernel 2.4.24) boots, it calls "insmod e1000.o" and the
    > driver initializes and takes control of both adapters. Is there a way to
    > restrict the e1000 driver to only one adapter? I've searched in the
    > driver parameters but there is nothing obvious.
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Cyril.

    Hi Cyril,
    Have a look in your /etc/modprobe.conf (or possibly modules.conf)
    it will have entries for both your network cards there something like:
    alias eth0 e1000
    alias eth1 e1000

    Remark out the second one (eth1)

    next look at your /etc/sysconfig/networking/devices directory
    you will probably have a couple of configuration files, one for each nic.
    They will be named something like:ifcfg-eth0

    In your ifcfg-eth0 file, make sure you reference the correct mac address
    of the nic you want to enable. eg:
    HWADDR=00:00:00:00:00:00

    This should effectively disable your eth1 device. To be extra sure, you
    could rename ifcfg-eth1 to old-ifcfg-eth0 (NB. put the old as a prefix
    rather than a suffix, as I believe the system looks for ifcfg-* files )

    --
    Regards,
    David Bailey

+ Reply to Thread