PCI express to connect computers directly ? - Networking

This is a discussion on PCI express to connect computers directly ? - Networking ; Hi, I am not sure of a proper forum to post this query but anyways... My question is: Can I use something like external cabling and take PCIe bus signals directly out of the box and connect to the other ...

  1. PCI express to connect computers directly ?

    Hi,

    I am not sure of a proper forum to post this query but anyways...

    My question is: Can I use something like external cabling and take
    PCIe bus signals directly out of the box and connect to the other
    computer (PCIe slot). Basically, If I want to get rid of specific
    network adapters (myrinet, infiniband, GigE etc) and use the PCIe bus
    as my high performance interconnect directly, can that be done?

    Do you know any project where this is being done?
    Is connecting two systems with PCIe is outside the scope of the PCIe
    spec?
    Or it will boil down to programming/designing the PCIe switch chip?

    I am really very new to this...would appreciate any kind of
    illumination on the subject.

    Thanks in advance..

    Sincerely,
    Mrugesh

  2. Re: PCI express to connect computers directly ?

    Anything is possible, but you would have signal noise, very short
    cable length, don't think you could run more that a foot of cable
    if you try to run at the pci bus speed. now with connector 4 inches inside
    case, that would leave the machines about 2-4 inches apart.
    Then the fun of programming the interface will require overwiteing the
    bios and taking control at the hardware level. You would need to develope
    signaling protocols, data transfer states, etc....
    There is no good reason for even attempting it. If you
    want faster interconnection speed, then group 1000 mbit cards, or
    buy faster custom interface cards.

    On Wed, 21 Feb 2007 06:44:23 -0800, gajjar.mrugesh wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > I am not sure of a proper forum to post this query but anyways...
    >
    > My question is: Can I use something like external cabling and take
    > PCIe bus signals directly out of the box and connect to the other
    > computer (PCIe slot). Basically, If I want to get rid of specific
    > network adapters (myrinet, infiniband, GigE etc) and use the PCIe bus
    > as my high performance interconnect directly, can that be done?
    >
    > Do you know any project where this is being done?
    > Is connecting two systems with PCIe is outside the scope of the PCIe
    > spec?
    > Or it will boil down to programming/designing the PCIe switch chip?
    >
    > I am really very new to this...would appreciate any kind of
    > illumination on the subject.
    >
    > Thanks in advance..
    >
    > Sincerely,
    > Mrugesh