no serial port and no parrallel port how do i console to a router - Networking

This is a discussion on no serial port and no parrallel port how do i console to a router - Networking ; My new laptop has no serial and no parralledl ports. I have been reading that there are some USB adapters but which one works well and once it is installed how do I use it. Hyperterm has no settings for ...

  1. no serial port and no parrallel port how do i console to a router

    My new laptop has no serial and no parralledl ports. I have been
    reading that there are some USB adapters but which one works well and
    once it is installed how do I use it. Hyperterm has no settings for a
    USB port.

  2. Re: no serial port and no parrallel port how do i console to a router

    On 02/13/2007 10:00 AM, sloan949@gmail.com wrote:
    > My new laptop has no serial and no parralledl ports. I have been
    > reading that there are some USB adapters but which one works well and
    > once it is installed how do I use it. Hyperterm has no settings for a
    > USB port.

    Hum, Windows hyperterm? Sorry!

    I otherwise and most of the Linux/Unix users use minicom, the serial
    port should be /dev/ttyUSB* something depends your USB-to-Serial adapter
    is recognized.

    The lsusb, dmesg and usbview can also be handy for troubleshooting.

    Anu's Linux@HOME Machines: #168573, 170593, 259192
    Chandigarh, UT, 160062, India Distros: Ubuntu, Fedora, Knoppix

  3. Re: no serial port and no parrallel port how do i console to a router

    On Mon, 12 Feb 2007 20:30:25 -0800, sloan949 rearranged some electrons to
    form:

    > My new laptop has no serial and no parralledl ports. I have been
    > reading that there are some USB adapters but which one works well and
    > once it is installed how do I use it. Hyperterm has no settings for a
    > USB port.

    Last time I looked, there was no Hyperterminal for Linux.

    --
    David M (dmacchiarolo)
    http://home.triad.rr.com/redsled

  4. Re: no serial port and no parrallel port how do i console to a router

    sloan949@gmail.com wrote:
    > My new laptop has no serial and no parralledl ports. I have been
    > reading that there are some USB adapters but which one works well and
    > once it is installed how do I use it. Hyperterm has no settings for a
    > USB port.

    Get a USB to serial port adaptor. And forget hyperterminal - it's a
    useless POS. For windows, download Tera Term Pro.

  5. Re: no serial port and no parrallel port how do i console to a router

    On Feb 13, 5:57 am, David Brown
    wrote:
    > sloan...@gmail.com wrote:
    > > My new laptop has no serial and no parralledl ports. I have been
    > > reading that there are some USB adapters but which one works well and
    > > once it is installed how do I use it. Hyperterm has no settings for a
    > > USB port.

    > Get a USB to serial port adaptor. And forget hyperterminal - it's a
    > useless POS. For windows, download Tera Term Pro.

    Cool thanks. I posted late last night and forgot to mention that it
    is a dual boot with Ubuntu so the tip about setting the serial
    port should be /dev/ttyUSB* something is super and yes i agree
    hyperterm is a POS and I will be downloading Tera Term again

    Thanks!

+ Reply to Thread