Finding DHCP (dynamic IP) devices on a subnet - Networking

This is a discussion on Finding DHCP (dynamic IP) devices on a subnet - Networking ; What service do I need to run on a DHCP-enabled Linux device to let a Windows machine find a device by name without the help of a third machine/server? I'm building test/measurement equipment that will sit on a customer's subnet, ...

  1. Finding DHCP (dynamic IP) devices on a subnet

    What service do I need to run on a DHCP-enabled Linux device to let a
    Windows machine find a device by name without the help of a third
    machine/server? I'm building test/measurement equipment that will sit on a
    customer's subnet, and I need a scheme to let application software on any
    Windows machine on the same subnet find the equipment when they only know
    its preassigned name, not its IP address.

    I think NBNS may be an option, but I'm not sure. Any advice would be
    appreciated.

    I'm using a 2.4.25 kernel, and I don't have a lot of memory to spare for a
    weighty service.

    Thanks,

    Ed J

  2. Re: Finding DHCP (dynamic IP) devices on a subnet

    arp -a

    "Ed J" wrote in message
    news:EYmdnUgOJuguWU3YnZ2dnUVZ_hOdnZ2d@adelphia.com ...
    > What service do I need to run on a DHCP-enabled Linux device to let a
    > Windows machine find a device by name without the help of a third
    > machine/server? I'm building test/measurement equipment that will sit on

    > customer's subnet, and I need a scheme to let application software on any
    > Windows machine on the same subnet find the equipment when they only know
    > its preassigned name, not its IP address.
    >
    > I think NBNS may be an option, but I'm not sure. Any advice would be
    > appreciated.
    >
    > I'm using a 2.4.25 kernel, and I don't have a lot of memory to spare for

    > weighty service.
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Ed J

  3. Re: Finding DHCP (dynamic IP) devices on a subnet

    >> What service do I need to run on a DHCP-enabled Linux device to let a
    >> Windows machine find a device by name without the help of a third
    >> machine/server?

    Can't you query the DHCP server? If the DHCP server is dnsmasq, the query
    can even be used with plain DNS so it will "just work".

    Stefan

  4. Re: Finding DHCP (dynamic IP) devices on a subnet

    "Stefan Monnier" wrote in message
    > Can't you query the DHCP server? If the DHCP server is dnsmasq, the query
    > can even be used with plain DNS so it will "just work".

    Thanks for the hint about querying DHCP. I started looking for such an
    approach, but all I seem to find are workarounds to use static IPs instead.

    My predicament is that I don't have control over the DHCP environment. The
    equipment that I am building should "plug and play" with a customer's
    existing infrastructure. I can't install a new DHCP server or other
    equipment. But if there is a general API in Windows to query a DHCP
    server's IP allocation table, that could solve my problem. If you can give
    me any hints where to look, I'd appreciate it.

    Thanks,

    Ed J

  5. Re: Finding DHCP (dynamic IP) devices on a subnet

    On Feb 12, 11:49 am, "Ed J" wrote:

    > What service do I need to run on a DHCP-enabled Linux device to let a
    > Windows machine find a device by name without the help of a third
    > machine/server? I'm building test/measurement equipment that will sit on

    Your question is a bit confusing. What do you mean by "by name"? By
    what name? If the device doesn't provide some way to locate it by
    name, then it's not a name. My name is "David" because if you yell
    "David" near me, I'll respond.

    What does this device do with its name such that you can find it? If
    nothing, then it's impossible in principle, no?

    DS

  6. Re: Finding DHCP (dynamic IP) devices on a subnet

    >> Can't you query the DHCP server? If the DHCP server is dnsmasq, the query
    >> can even be used with plain DNS so it will "just work".

    > Thanks for the hint about querying DHCP. I started looking for such an
    > approach, but all I seem to find are workarounds to use static IPs instead.

    > My predicament is that I don't have control over the DHCP environment. The
    > equipment that I am building should "plug and play" with a customer's
    > existing infrastructure. I can't install a new DHCP server or other
    > equipment. But if there is a general API in Windows to query a DHCP
    > server's IP allocation table, that could solve my problem. If you can give
    > me any hints where to look, I'd appreciate it.

    There's no standard way to query a DHCP server, I'm afraid.
    So maybe you'll want to use a different approach, such as one based
    on ZeroConf.

    Stefan

+ Reply to Thread