Advice on Linux and internal web server and file server - Networking

This is a discussion on Advice on Linux and internal web server and file server - Networking ; Hello all, I'm looking for advice from those with Linux server experience.. WeI have a PowerEdge 1400SE server with a P3 1.4 Ghz chip and 1 gb of ram. I'm experienced with Windows networking and IIS but only a little ...

  1. Advice on Linux and internal web server and file server

    Hello all,

    I'm looking for advice from those with Linux server experience..

    WeI have a PowerEdge 1400SE server with a P3 1.4 Ghz chip and 1 gb of
    ram. I'm experienced with Windows networking and IIS but only a little
    with Linux. I'd like to really jump in to Linux now.

    I'd like to set up this server using Linux so that 10 users on a
    Windows workgroup network can do two things:

    1. Share files on a network share on the server

    2. Access the server as an internal web server where the users can
    test web sites they are developing. I know we need Apache and MySql
    becasue that's where the production sites run on.

    This is for an internal work/test arera - the websites will never be
    on the internet.

    Any advice on what direction I should be looking at or what flavor of
    Linux should I be researching?

    Thank you in advance for your thoughts!

    Ray

  2. Re: Advice on Linux and internal web server and file server

    On Mon, 12 Feb 2007 08:38:03 -0800, jrcs22 wrote:

    > Hello all,
    >
    > I'm looking for advice from those with Linux server experience..
    >
    > WeI have a PowerEdge 1400SE server with a P3 1.4 Ghz chip and 1 gb of
    > ram. I'm experienced with Windows networking and IIS but only a little
    > with Linux. I'd like to really jump in to Linux now.
    >
    > I'd like to set up this server using Linux so that 10 users on a
    > Windows workgroup network can do two things:
    >
    > 1. Share files on a network share on the server
    >
    > 2. Access the server as an internal web server where the users can
    > test web sites they are developing. I know we need Apache and MySql
    > becasue that's where the production sites run on.
    >
    > This is for an internal work/test arera - the websites will never be
    > on the internet.
    >
    > Any advice on what direction I should be looking at or what flavor of
    > Linux should I be researching?
    >
    > Thank you in advance for your thoughts!
    >
    > Ray

    Doesn't really matter a hell of a lot. Most any major distro should do
    what you need. I'll refer you to distrowatch.com. I currently do that sort
    of thing on our home computers - I use (K)ubuntu, Elive and Gentoo. IMHO
    ubuntu is fairly quick and easy to set up.

+ Reply to Thread