WEP key problems on SUSE 10.2 box - Please advise. - Networking

This is a discussion on WEP key problems on SUSE 10.2 box - Please advise. - Networking ; I'm having some major problems connecting to a WEP enabled network in SUSE 10.2 and wondered if anyone could possibly shed some light on what's causing this to happen. The wireless device uses the Ralink RT2500 chipset and has been ...

  1. WEP key problems on SUSE 10.2 box - Please advise.

    I'm having some major problems connecting to a WEP enabled network in
    SUSE 10.2 and wondered if anyone could possibly shed some light on
    what's causing this to happen. The wireless device uses the Ralink
    RT2500 chipset and has been set up successfully thanks to the help of
    the serial monkey driver and the kind people over at the serial monkey
    forums. Now what's happening is as follows:
    If I set up the device using IFUP or Network manager, I cannot
    connect using a WEP key. Similarly, if I use Network Manager,
    connection is attempted but hangs at 28% regardless of whether WEP is
    enabled or not.
    Also, I've noticed some anomalies in the way that my key is being
    interpreted in iwconfig run as root:

    wlan0 RT2500 Wireless ESSID:"WLAN"
    Mode:Managed Frequency=2.412 GHz Bit Rate=1 Mb/s Tx-
    Power:0 dBm
    RTS thrff Fragment thrff
    Encryption key:4441-4634-35 Security modepen
    Link Quality=0/100 Signal level=-35 dBm Noise level:-205
    dBm

    Let's say my WEP key is a simple 64-Bit ascii string such as: DAF45.

    Having set this up in NetwokManager OR IFUP (I've tried lots of
    different variations) it still returns the following iwconfig output
    run as root:

    wlan0 RT2500 Wireless ESSID:"WLAN"
    Mode:Managed Frequency=2.412 GHz Bit Rate=1 Mb/s Tx-
    Power:0 dBm
    RTS thrff Fragment thrff
    Encryption key:4441-4634-35 Security modepen
    Link Quality=0/100 Signal level=-33 dBm Noise level:-205
    dBm

    Notice the totally different key listed therein?

    This has been tried on a couple of different networks using different
    brands of Wireless Routers yet the key is still reported wrong. Even
    using iwconfig to manually enter the key results in this anomaly.

    Please advise.

    Any help would be most gratefully received.
    Thanks.
    Kush.

  2. Re: WEP key problems on SUSE 10.2 box - Please advise.

    On 12 Feb, 14:36, "Kushty" wrote:

    > Let's say myWEP key is a simple 64-Bit ascii string such as: DAF45.
    >
    > Having set this up in NetwokManager OR IFUP (I've tried lots of
    > different variations) it still returns the following iwconfig output
    > run as root:
    >
    > wlan0 RT2500 Wireless ESSID:"WLAN"
    > Mode:Managed Frequency=2.412 GHz Bit Rate=1 Mb/s Tx-
    > Power:0 dBm
    > RTS thrff Fragment thrff
    > Encryption key:4441-4634-35 Security modepen
    >

    > Notice the totally different key listed therein?
    >
    > This has been tried on a couple of different networks using different
    > brands of Wireless Routers yet the key is still reported wrong. Even
    > using iwconfig to manually enter the key results in this anomaly.

    Don't worry. I think I've worked out the encryption problem now.
    Even though the Linksys router generates a 'Hex' key for you, it in
    fact generates an ascii string and this, in turn, is generated back
    into true hex form by the linux box.
    Hence, what the router purports to be Hex DAF45 is, in fact,
    interpreted by linux as 4441-4634-35.
    Cheers.
    Kush.

  3. Re: WEP key problems on SUSE 10.2 box - Please advise.

    Kushty wrote:
    > On 12 Feb, 14:36, "Kushty" wrote:
    >
    >>Let's say myWEP key is a simple 64-Bit ascii string such as: DAF45.
    >>
    >>Having set this up in NetwokManager OR IFUP (I've tried lots of
    >>different variations) it still returns the following iwconfig output
    >>run as root:
    >>
    >>wlan0 RT2500 Wireless ESSID:"WLAN"
    >> Mode:Managed Frequency=2.412 GHz Bit Rate=1 Mb/s Tx-
    >>Power:0 dBm
    >> RTS thrff Fragment thrff
    >> Encryption key:4441-4634-35 Security modepen
    >>

    >>Notice the totally different key listed therein?
    >>
    >>This has been tried on a couple of different networks using different
    >>brands of Wireless Routers yet the key is still reported wrong. Even
    >>using iwconfig to manually enter the key results in this anomaly.

    > Don't worry. I think I've worked out the encryption problem now.
    > Even though the Linksys router generates a 'Hex' key for you, it in
    > fact generates an ascii string and this, in turn, is generated back
    > into true hex form by the linux box.
    > Hence, what the router purports to be Hex DAF45 is, in fact,
    > interpreted by linux as 4441-4634-35.
    > Cheers.
    > Kush.

    Thanks for sharing the knowledge.

    Three cheers for Linksys!

    Would someone please send a clue to them?

    --

    Tauno Voipio
    tauno voipio (at) iki fi

+ Reply to Thread