I have 4 NIC cards on Linux PC, can I assign Ip address to bridge interface? - Networking

This is a discussion on I have 4 NIC cards on Linux PC, can I assign Ip address to bridge interface? - Networking ; I have 4, 100Mbps NIC cards on single Linux PC, one port is connected to Cable modem, remaining 3 need to connect to Three PC's. I have Bridge enabled on that Linux PC, can I ssign an IP address to ...

  1. I have 4 NIC cards on Linux PC, can I assign Ip address to bridge interface?

    I have 4, 100Mbps NIC cards on single Linux PC, one port is connected
    to Cable modem, remaining 3 need to connect to Three PC's. I have
    Bridge enabled on that Linux PC, can I ssign an IP address to the
    Bridge interface (br0), also if I want VLAN for each port, can I
    assign VLAN interface, I need to keep those 3 PC's in different
    groups, also I need to give different bandwidth's for each those PC's,
    can I do that?.

  2. Re: I have 4 NIC cards on Linux PC, can I assign Ip address to bridge interface?

    On Sun, 11 Feb 2007 13:55:47 -0800, GS rearranged some electrons to form:

    > I have 4, 100Mbps NIC cards on single Linux PC, one port is connected
    > to Cable modem, remaining 3 need to connect to Three PC's. I have
    > Bridge enabled on that Linux PC, can I ssign an IP address to the
    > Bridge interface (br0), also if I want VLAN for each port, can I
    > assign VLAN interface, I need to keep those 3 PC's in different
    > groups, also I need to give different bandwidth's for each those PC's,
    > can I do that?.

    If you're connecting PC NIC to PC NIC, you'll need crossover cables.

    Geez, wouldn't it be easier to just use a $10 Ethernet hub?

    --
    David M (dmacchiarolo)
    http://home.triad.rr.com/redsled

  3. Re: I have 4 NIC cards on Linux PC, can I assign Ip address to bridge interface?

    2007-02-11, 13:55(-08), GS:
    > I have 4, 100Mbps NIC cards on single Linux PC, one port is connected
    > to Cable modem, remaining 3 need to connect to Three PC's. I have
    > Bridge enabled on that Linux PC, can I ssign an IP address to the
    > Bridge interface (br0), also if I want VLAN for each port, can I
    > assign VLAN interface, I need to keep those 3 PC's in different
    > groups, also I need to give different bandwidth's for each those PC's,
    > can I do that?.

    If you want your 3 PCs to be in 3 different LANs, you need
    neither bridge nor VLANS as you already have 3 real LANs.

    As for bandwith assignment, you may want to read
    http://lartc.org/howto

    You'll find additional information at http://linux-net.osdl.org

    --
    Stéphane