    thanks
    from Peter (cmk128@hotmail.com

  2. Re: 2 domain with 1 static ip

    On 2007-02-11, cmk128@hotmail.com wrote:
    > I have 2 domain names and 1 static ip, how can i forward all the
    > packets from domain name A to computer A and all the packets from
    > domain name B to cmoputer B?

    Packets have no 'domain', only IPs, so there is no 'domain' in there
    to forward. You could redirect connection based on the _protocols_, but
    then you'll need a specific proxy for such protocol.

    Davide

    --
    It might not be practical, it might not be a good idea, but it could
    work. Sort of like Windows.

  3. Re: 2 domain with 1 static ip

    cmk128@hotmail.com wrote:

    > Hi
    > I have 2 domain names and 1 static ip, how can i forward all the
    > packets from domain name A to computer A and all the packets from
    > domain name B to cmoputer B?
    > Can squid help me? Is there any router can do this instead of
    > software?
    > thanks
    > from Peter (cmk128@hotmail.com

    Hi,
    Router can route the traffic according to the ports (assuming that domain A
    uses diffrent services that domain B).

  4. Re: 2 domain with 1 static ip

    cmk128@hotmail.com wrote:
    > I have 2 domain names and 1 static ip, how can i forward all the
    > packets from domain name A to computer A and all the packets from
    > domain name B to cmoputer B?
    > Can squid help me? Is there any router can do this instead of
    > software?
    > thanks

    You can route based on name only if you're using a protocol that
    includes the domain name in the connection information. For example,
    for HTTP (not HTTPS) a web server can read the name and forward to other
    web servers.

    Otherwise, the only thing that matters is the numeric address. Domain
    names are for water/carbon units that don't think in binary.

  5. Re: 2 domain with 1 static ip

    On 2月11日, 下午9時20分, Davide Bianchi
    wrote:
    > On 2007-02-11, cmk...@hotmail.com wrote:
    >
    > > I have 2 domain names and 1 static ip, how can i forward all the
    > > packets from domain name A to computer A and all the packets from
    > > domain name B to cmoputer B?

    > Packets have no 'domain', only IPs, so there is no 'domain' in there
    > to forward. You could redirect connection based on the _protocols_, but
    > then you'll need a specific proxy for such protocol.
    >
    > Davide
    >
    > --
    > It might not be practical, it might not be a good idea, but it could
    > work. Sort of like Windows.
    > --berry

    port forward doesn't help, because both two servers need port 80

  6. Re: 2 domain with 1 static ip

    On 2月12日, 上午12時05分, Allen Kistler wrote:
    > cmk...@hotmail.com wrote:
    > > I have 2 domain names and 1 static ip, how can i forward all the
    > > packets from domain name A to computer A and all the packets from
    > > domain name B to cmoputer B?
    > > Can squid help me? Is there any router can do this instead of
    > > software?
    > > thanks

    > You can route based on name only if you're using a protocol that
    > includes the domain name in the connection information. For example,
    > for HTTP (not HTTPS) a web server can read the name and forward to other
    > web servers.
    >
    > Otherwise, the only thing that matters is the numeric address. Domain
    > names are for water/carbon units that don't think in binary.

    my linksys router only have port forward. YES, i really need an "ip
    forward" router, any introduce?

  7. Re: 2 domain with 1 static ip

    cmk128@hotmail.com wrote:
    > On 2月11日, 下午9時20分, Davide Bianchi
    > wrote:
    >
    >>On 2007-02-11, cmk...@hotmail.com wrote:
    >>

    >>>I have 2 domain names and 1 static ip, how can i forward all the
    >>>packets from domain name A to computer A and all the packets from
    >>>domain name B to cmoputer B?

    >>Packets have no 'domain', only IPs, so there is no 'domain' in there
    >>to forward. You could redirect connection based on the _protocols_, but
    >>then you'll need a specific proxy for such protocol.
    >>
    >>Davide
    >>
    >>--
    >>It might not be practical, it might not be a good idea, but it could
    >>work. Sort of like Windows.
    >>--berry

    > port forward doesn't help, because both two servers need port 80

    If you are using Apache for the TCP/80 servers, have a look
    at virtual hosts - it is built-in.

    --

    -Tauno Voipio
    tauno voipio (at) iki fi

  8. Re: 2 domain with 1 static ip

    On 2月12日, 上午1時01分, Tauno Voipio wrote:
    > cmk...@hotmail.com wrote:
    > > On 2月11日, 下午9時20分, Davide Bianchi
    > > wrote:

    > >>Packets have no 'domain', only IPs, so there is no 'domain' in there
    > >>to forward. You could redirect connection based on the _protocols_, but
    > >>then you'll need a specific proxy for such protocol.

    > >>Davide

    > >>--
    > >>It might not be practical, it might not be a good idea, but it could
    > >>work. Sort of like Windows.
    > >>--berry

    > > port forward doesn't help, because both two servers need port 80

    > If you are using Apache for the TCP/80 servers, have a look
    > at virtual hosts - it is built-in.
    >
    > --
    >
    > -Tauno Voipio
    > tauno voipio (at) iki fi

    Yes, it works, thank you.
    How about the telnet and ftp?
    thanks
    from Peter

  9. Re: 2 domain with 1 static ip

    cmk128@hotmail.com wrote:
    > Hi
    > I have 2 domain names and 1 static ip, how can i forward all the
    > packets from domain name A to computer A and all the packets from
    > domain name B to cmoputer B?
    > Can squid help me? Is there any router can do this instead of
    > software?
    > thanks
    > from Peter (cmk128@hotmail.com

    It sounds like you want to use a load balancer - have a look at:

    Pound - http://www.apsis.ch/pound
    Pen - http://siag.nu/pen/
    Balance - http://www.inlab.de/balance.html

    They're relatively easy to set up. I used Pound a long time ago but
    have since started using hardware load balancers.

    This might help you out.

  10. Re: 2 domain with 1 static ip

    cmk128@hotmail.com wrote:
    > On 2月12日, 上午1時01分, Tauno Voipio wrote:
    >
    >>cmk...@hotmail.com wrote:

    >>>port forward doesn't help, because both two servers need port 80

    >>If you are using Apache for the TCP/80 servers, have a look
    >>at virtual hosts - it is built-in.
    >>
    >>--
    >>
    >>-Tauno Voipio
    >>tauno voipio (at) iki fi

    > Yes, it works, thank you.
    > How about the telnet and ftp?
    > thanks
    > from Peter

    FTP is a nuisance to handle in NAT routers. Besides, it is pretty
    insecure, which applies to Telnet, as well.

    Please use SSH. You'll get a file transfer protocol (scp) for free.

    --

    Tauno Voipio
    tauno voipio (at) iki fi

  11. Re: 2 domain with 1 static ip

    Tauno Voipio wrote:
    > FTP is a nuisance to handle in NAT routers. Besides, it is pretty
    > insecure, which applies to Telnet, as well.
    >
    > Please use SSH. You'll get a file transfer protocol (scp) for free.

    I think you mean SFTP...

    --
    Brought to you by the letters 'O,' 'S,' and by the number '2.'

    My C=64 owns you, BOY!

  12. Re: 2 domain with 1 static ip

    On Tue, 13 Feb 2007 20:00:15 +0000, Mr. I.M. Puss wrote:

    > Tauno Voipio wrote:
    >> FTP is a nuisance to handle in NAT routers. Besides, it is pretty
    >> insecure, which applies to Telnet, as well.
    >>
    >> Please use SSH. You'll get a file transfer protocol (scp) for free.
    >>

    > I think you mean SFTP...

    No, he means ssh and scp.

    Dan

  13. Re: 2 domain with 1 static ip

    Dan N wrote:
    > On Tue, 13 Feb 2007 20:00:15 +0000, Mr. I.M. Puss wrote:
    >

    >>Tauno Voipio wrote:
    >>
    >>>FTP is a nuisance to handle in NAT routers. Besides, it is pretty
    >>>insecure, which applies to Telnet, as well.
    >>>
    >>>Please use SSH. You'll get a file transfer protocol (scp) for free.
    >>>

    >>I think you mean SFTP...

    > No, he means ssh and scp.
    >
    > Dan

    OK - sftp also accepted, though I usually use only ssh and scp.

    --

    Tauno Voipio
    tauno voipio (at) iki fi

+ Reply to Thread