Sendmail is not snding mail but giving dead.letter. What is dead.letter? - Networking

This is a discussion on Sendmail is not snding mail but giving dead.letter. What is dead.letter? - Networking ; When ever I am trying to email through command line or through perl, go the dead.letter issue. Below is the output of Perl Script.... OutPut: Hello Processing email /home/gsaxena/dead.letter... Saved message in /home/gsaxena/ dead.letter Email closed Hello is just a ...

  1. Sendmail is not snding mail but giving dead.letter. What is dead.letter?

    When ever I am trying to email through command line or through perl,
    go the dead.letter issue.
    Below is the output of Perl Script....
    OutPut:
    Hello
    Processing email
    /home/gsaxena/dead.letter... Saved message in /home/gsaxena/
    dead.letter
    Email closed

    Hello is just a print // customized String
    Processing email is written before open mail command // customized
    String
    /home/gsaxena/dead.letter... Saved message in /home/gsaxena/
    dead.letter is the issue // Not able to send email
    Email closed is just a print // customized String

    Please suggest.

    Thanks,
    Gaurav

  2. Re: Sendmail is not snding mail but giving dead.letter. What is dead.letter?

    On 9 Feb 2007, in the Usenet newsgroup comp.os.linux.networking, in article
    <1171061636.283930.105870@v33g2000cwv.googlegroups. com>, gsatnoida@gmail.com
    wrote:

    >When ever I am trying to email through command line or through perl,
    >go the dead.letter issue.

    "dead letter" is a term used in the real Post Office, and refers to mail
    that can not be delivered - often because the address is wrong, or there
    is no stamp, and no (useful) return address. SMTP uses a similar function
    when email is undeliverable for any reason.

    >dead.letter is the issue // Not able to send email

    Mail configuration problem. Look in /var/log/maillog for clues. There
    are just to many possible causes to guess what the problem may be, but
    it usually revolves about addresses - destination address is bad, no
    working DNS to locate a mail server at the destination, blocklist
    problems where the destination refuses to accept your mail, sender is
    not accepted by the destination... really a lot of things.

    Old guy

  3. Re: Sendmail is not snding mail but giving dead.letter. What is dead.letter?

    This issue is because of system not able to resolve the email address. Check if email facility is available on the server. If thats fine, then make sure you pass email address as parameter to the script. Don't try to define email address as a variable as below..

    $email="abcdef@xyz.com"

    Perl skips @ out of it and causes the dead.letter. I hope this helps. Good Luck !!

    Thanks,
    Prasanna Rathi