Perplexing network problem. - Networking

This is a discussion on Perplexing network problem. - Networking ; Hi all, my friend is having this strange network issue, and Ive run out of ideas to try and help him. Heres his deal.... Its a home network setup. A webserver running Gentoo Linux and Apache. The sites address is ...

  1. Perplexing network problem.

    Hi all, my friend is having this strange network issue, and Ive run
    out of ideas to try and help him. Heres his deal....

    Its a home network setup. A webserver running Gentoo Linux and Apache.
    The sites address is gaijin.ath.cx.

    The problem:
    When hes internal on his network on a windows xp machine that is fully
    functional otherwise, he cant browse to his own website using either
    the gaijin.ath.cx address, or the ip that that address resolves to,
    24.163.109.67. He can browse to it using the internal ip of the linux
    box, 192.168.0.11. You can get to the site externally using either the
    IP or the fqdn.
    He can successfully ping the 24.163.109.67 address from the xp
    machine.

    The xp box's ip is 192.168.0.10. Both machines have static IPs.
    Hes using his isp's dns servers, 24.25.5.150 and 24.25.5.149.

    My friend thinks maybe its dns related, but Im thinking maybe not
    because of the fact that he cant get to the site internally using the
    ip address, which should not use any dns servers, is that line of
    thinking correct?

    Anyone have any ideas?

    Thanks
    -MK

  2. Re: Perplexing network problem.

    Hello,

    mekmiotek@gmail.com a écrit :

    > When hes internal on his network on a windows xp machine that is fully
    > functional otherwise, he cant browse to his own website using either
    > the gaijin.ath.cx address, or the ip that that address resolves to,
    > 24.163.109.67. He can browse to it using the internal ip of the linux
    > box, 192.168.0.11. You can get to the site externally using either the
    > IP or the fqdn.
    > He can successfully ping the 24.163.109.67 address from the xp
    > machine.

    Is the server behind a NAT router acting as a gateway for the server and
    the Windows box and doing port forwarding for the server ?
    Or is the server itself doing the NAT and acting as a gateway for the
    Windows box ?

  3. Re: Perplexing network problem.

    On Feb 9, 10:14 am, Pascal Hambourg
    wrote:
    > Hello,
    >
    > mekmio...@gmail.com a écrit :
    >

    > > When hes internal on his network on a windows xp machine that is fully
    > > functional otherwise, he cant browse to his own website using either
    > > the gaijin.ath.cx address, or the ip that that address resolves to,
    > > 24.163.109.67. He can browse to it using the internal ip of the linux
    > > box, 192.168.0.11. You can get to the site externally using either the
    > > IP or the fqdn.
    > > He can successfully ping the 24.163.109.67 address from the xp
    > > machine.

    > Is the server behind a NAT router acting as a gateway for the server and
    > the Windows box and doing port forwarding for the server ?
    > Or is the server itself doing the NAT and acting as a gateway for the
    > Windows box ?

    I have time just to pop my head in here quick, busy at work today.

    Yes the server is behind a NAT router, its a Netgear router...I can
    get the exact model later. Also the domain name ath.cx came from
    dyndns. Thanks for your time!

    -MK

  4. Re: Perplexing network problem.

    mekmiotek@gmail.com a écrit :

    > Yes the server is behind a NAT router, its a Netgear router...

    For some reasons, port forwarding on SOHO routers usually works only on
    the internet side, not on the internal network side. It would be
    possible to have it working with a Linux-based router however.

    A common workaround is based on name resolution. If you have your own
    internal DNS server/relay (bind, dnsmasq...) used by the internal
    clients, you might be able to force it to resolve gaijin.ath.cx into the
    internal server IP address instead of the public IP address. Else you
    can override the DNS resolution on the internal clients by adding the
    name and local address in the "hosts" file.
    /etc/hosts on most Unix-based systems
    \hosts on Windows 9x systems
    \system32\drivers\etc\hosts

    The active hosts file has no extension. Beware hidden extensions on
    Windows systems. You may also find a file hosts.sam which is an inactive
    sample hosts file.

  5. Re: Perplexing network problem.

    Pascal Hambourg a écrit :

    > For some reasons, port forwarding on SOHO routers usually works only on
    > the internet side, not on the internal network side. It would be
    > possible to have it working with a Linux-based router however.
    >
    > A common workaround is based on name resolution. [...]

    I forgot to mention another workaround for web servers : use an external
    HTTP proxy. The proxy will reach the server from the outside, so the
    port forwarding will work.

  6. Re: Perplexing network problem.

    On Fri, 09 Feb 2007 20:29:58 +0100, Pascal Hambourg wrote:

    > mekmiotek@gmail.com a écrit :
    >>
    >> Yes the server is behind a NAT router, its a Netgear router...

    > For some reasons, port forwarding on SOHO routers usually works only on
    > the internet side, not on the internal network side. It would be possible
    > to have it working with a Linux-based router however.
    >
    > A common workaround is based on name resolution. If you have your own
    > internal DNS server/relay (bind, dnsmasq...) used by the internal clients,
    > you might be able to force it to resolve gaijin.ath.cx into the internal
    > server IP address instead of the public IP address.

    You can make a DNS server return an alternate address for just the one
    name by creating a zone called "gaijin.ath.cx" with an A record at "zone
    top" - label "@" in bind. This will have no effect on the rest of ath.cx.
    It doesn't matter that gaijin.ath.cx isn't a zone in its own right on the
    Internet.

    Regards, Ian

  7. Re: Perplexing network problem.

    On Feb 9, 4:18 pm, Ian Northeast
    wrote:
    > On Fri, 09 Feb 2007 20:29:58 +0100, Pascal Hambourg wrote:
    > > mekmio...@gmail.com a écrit :

    > >> Yes the server is behind a NAT router, its a Netgear router...

    > > For some reasons, port forwarding on SOHO routers usually works only on
    > > the internet side, not on the internal network side. It would be possible
    > > to have it working with a Linux-based router however.

    > > A common workaround is based on name resolution. If you have your own
    > > internal DNS server/relay (bind, dnsmasq...) used by the internal clients,
    > > you might be able to force it to resolve gaijin.ath.cx into the internal
    > > server IP address instead of the public IP address.

    > You can make a DNS server return an alternate address for just the one
    > name by creating a zone called "gaijin.ath.cx" with an A record at "zone
    > top" - label "@" in bind. This will have no effect on the rest of ath.cx.
    > It doesn't matter that gaijin.ath.cx isn't a zone in its own right on the
    > Internet.
    >
    > Regards, Ian

    Thanks for your input Pascal. I have almost the exact same setup at my
    place, except Im using a Linksys BEFW11S4 router. You think its
    something in the Netgear router? Interesting.

  8. Re: Perplexing network problem.

    On Feb 9, 6:30 am, "mekmio...@gmail.com" wrote:

    > The problem:
    > When hes internal on his network on a windows xp machine that is fully
    > functional otherwise, he cant browse to his own website using either
    > the gaijin.ath.cx address, or the ip that that address resolves to,
    > 24.163.109.67. He can browse to it using the internal ip of the linux
    > box, 192.168.0.11. You can get to the site externally using either the
    > IP or the fqdn.
    > He can successfully ping the 24.163.109.67 address from the xp
    > machine.

    This is expected behavior. The IP address of his website, from the
    outside, is the IP address of his router, which is configured to
    gateway connections from the outside to that machine. If he attaches
    from the inside, he bypasses that gatewaying.

    DS

  9. Re: Perplexing network problem.

    On Feb 9, 10:24 pm, "David Schwartz" wrote:
    > On Feb 9, 6:30 am, "mekmio...@gmail.com" wrote:
    >
    > > The problem:
    > > When hes internal on his network on a windows xp machine that is fully
    > > functional otherwise, he cant browse to his own website using either
    > > the gaijin.ath.cx address, or the ip that that address resolves to,
    > > 24.163.109.67. He can browse to it using the internal ip of the linux
    > > box, 192.168.0.11. You can get to the site externally using either the
    > > IP or the fqdn.
    > > He can successfully ping the 24.163.109.67 address from the xp
    > > machine.

    > This is expected behavior. The IP address of his website, from the
    > outside, is the IP address of his router, which is configured to
    > gateway connections from the outside to that machine. If he attaches
    > from the inside, he bypasses that gatewaying.
    >
    > DS

    I didnt expect it because my router doesnt do that. Like I said I have
    the same setup except I have a linksys router and a linksys switch,
    but mine works fine. I didnt have to do any special configuration on
    the router at all. Seems strange that the manufacturers would choose
    not to add that functionality.

    -MK

    -MK

+ Reply to Thread