Retransmission in Data link layer? - Networking

This is a discussion on Retransmission in Data link layer? - Networking ; Hi, I got a question regarding retransmission of packets in TCP/IP stack. please share your view regarding the same. All the Transmit and Receive queues are maintained in Link layer.( Am I correct?? ) If any retransmission is required it ...

  1. Retransmission in Data link layer?

    Hi,
    I got a question regarding retransmission of packets in TCP/IP
    stack.
    please share your view regarding the same.

    All the Transmit and Receive queues are maintained in Link layer.( Am
    I correct?? )

    If any retransmission is required it will done by TCP layer. If TCP
    layer is not getting any ACK for the
    Data packet it send, it timeouts and retransmits the packet again.

    The question is Why not doing retramission at DataLinkLayer itself?
    Why TCP should come and and say DataLinkLayer to do the
    retransmission?

    ( the answer i had is Why to worry all device driver writer to worry
    about retransmission and all.)
    your views.

    -Saran

  2. Re: Retransmission in Data link layer?

    Hi,
    >Transmit and Receive queues

    Here i mentioned about FIFOs of skbuff maintained at link layer.

    -Saran

    On Feb 8, 4:12 pm, "SaranJothy" wrote:
    > Hi,
    > I got a question regarding retransmission of packets in TCP/IP
    > stack.
    > please share your view regarding the same.
    >
    > All the Transmit and Receive queues are maintained in Link layer.( Am
    > I correct?? )
    >
    > If any retransmission is required it will done by TCP layer. If TCP
    > layer is not getting any ACK for the
    > Data packet it send, it timeouts and retransmits the packet again.
    >
    > The question is Why not doing retramission at DataLinkLayer itself?
    > Why TCP should come and and say DataLinkLayer to do the
    > retransmission?
    >
    > ( the answer i had is Why to worry all device driver writer to worry
    > about retransmission and all.)
    > your views.
    >
    > -Saran

  3. Re: Retransmission in Data link layer?

    SaranJothy wrote:
    > Hi,
    > I got a question regarding retransmission of packets in TCP/IP
    > stack.
    > please share your view regarding the same.
    >
    > All the Transmit and Receive queues are maintained in Link layer.( Am
    > I correct?? )
    >
    > If any retransmission is required it will done by TCP layer. If TCP
    > layer is not getting any ACK for the
    > Data packet it send, it timeouts and retransmits the packet again.
    >
    > The question is Why not doing retramission at DataLinkLayer itself?
    > Why TCP should come and and say DataLinkLayer to do the
    > retransmission?
    >
    > ( the answer i had is Why to worry all device driver writer to worry
    > about retransmission and all.)
    > your views.
    >

    > -Saran

    Homework / study project?

    --

    Tauno Voipio
    tauno voipio (at) iki fi

  4. Re: Retransmission in Data link layer?

    Keep in mind that different layers in the heirarchy may have "things"
    with names similar to those in other layers, but that does not mean
    they are the same thing.