Routing everything through eth0 - Networking

This is a discussion on Routing everything through eth0 - Networking ; Hi! I have a machine using 2 interfaces, eth1 - gigabit, eth0 - 100 mbit. Using FedoraCore 6(.90). This machine will be running snort on eth1, so what I want is for all traffic that the machine needs/initiated from the ...

  1. Routing everything through eth0

    Hi!

    I have a machine using 2 interfaces, eth1 - gigabit, eth0 - 100 mbit.
    Using FedoraCore 6(.90).
    This machine will be running snort on eth1, so what I want is for all
    traffic that the machine needs/initiated from the machine (ping/
    traceroute/connecting to sites etc..) to go through eth0.
    Basically eth1 will *only* used for snort to sniff the network, while
    management etc uses eth0.
    eth1 and eth0 have different ip-adresses on different vlan with
    different gateways.
    Since I am a Solaris admin, I am not that familiar on how to proceed
    in Fedora to accomplish this task.
    So I am asking for any help to solve this matter of routing everything
    through eth0.
    Best regards.

  2. Re: Routing everything through eth0

    > I have a machine using 2 interfaces, eth1 - gigabit, eth0 - 100 mbit.
    > Using FedoraCore 6(.90).
    > This machine will be running snort on eth1, so what I want is for all
    > traffic that the machine needs/initiated from the machine (ping/
    > traceroute/connecting to sites etc..) to go through eth0.
    > Basically eth1 will *only* used for snort to sniff the network, while
    > management etc uses eth0.
    > eth1 and eth0 have different ip-adresses on different vlan with
    > different gateways.
    > Since I am a Solaris admin, I am not that familiar on how to proceed
    > in Fedora to accomplish this task.
    > So I am asking for any help to solve this matter of routing everything
    > through eth0.

    Start by turning eth1 off. Don't give it an IP address, and don't turn
    it on at boot time. Just before you start snort, bring eth1 up using
    ifconfig eth1 up

    I'm assuming here that snort will listen on eth1 even if it doesn't have
    an IP address. I haven't tried this with snort. I know it works with
    ethereal/wireshark, tcpdump and other packet sniffers.

+ Reply to Thread