TACACS - Networking

This is a discussion on TACACS - Networking ; Hi guys, I have configured syslog-ng on my linux box to receive syslog messages from remote servers (mostly windows - I have installed event log to syslog on them). I would like the same server to accept syslog messages from ...

  1. TACACS

    Hi guys,

    I have configured syslog-ng on my linux box to receive syslog messages
    from remote servers (mostly windows - I have installed event log to
    syslog on them). I would like the same server to accept syslog messages
    from my network devices such as firewalls, routers, switches etc. What
    do I need to configure on the network gear to be able to send syslog
    messages to my linux server? I was googling a bit and found that I would
    need to use TACACS. Is that true? What is the purpose of using TACACS?

    Can this be done without it?

    Thanks

  2. Re: TACACS

    aleu@vp.pl wrote:
    > Hi guys,
    >
    > I have configured syslog-ng on my linux box to receive syslog messages
    > from remote servers (mostly windows - I have installed event log to
    > syslog on them). I would like the same server to accept syslog messages
    > from my network devices such as firewalls, routers, switches etc. What
    > do I need to configure on the network gear to be able to send syslog
    > messages to my linux server? I was googling a bit and found that I would
    > need to use TACACS. Is that true? What is the purpose of using TACACS?
    >
    > Can this be done without it?
    >
    > Thanks

    TACACS has nothing to do with syslog

    service timestamps log datetime msec localtime
    gets you proper date and time

    logging trap warnings
    define what level of messages you want

    logging 192.168.5.102