SuSE 8.2 and broadband - Networking

This is a discussion on SuSE 8.2 and broadband - Networking ; Hi everyone, I've finally got broadband (I'm in the UK so I'm a tad behind but I can't get it to work under Linux - WinXP is OK though. Yast2 confirms that my ethernet card has been configured: it says ...

  1. SuSE 8.2 and broadband

    Hi everyone,
    I've finally got broadband (I'm in the UK so I'm a tad behind but I
    can't get it to work under Linux - WinXP is OK though.

    Yast2 confirms that my ethernet card has been configured: it says
    "nVidia nForce Ethernet Controller configured as eth0 with DHCP"

    With everything plugged in OK, I try to browse some websites, but all
    I get is a message saying that I am not connected to the internet/file
    not found etc. If I ping the IP of my router, I get "Network is
    unreachable"; ifconfig eth0 says "device not found".

    I did a bit of checking on various websites and they suggested that I
    do a "rcnetwork restart". The messages relating to eth0 were:
    "Shutting down network interfaces: eth0 skipped" and then "Setting up
    network interfaces: eth0 failed"

    Can someone suggest what to try next?

    Many thanks

    Paul

  2. Re: SuSE 8.2 and broadband

    On 2007-02-06 23:45, trashman.horlicks@btinternet.com wrote:
    > Hi everyone,
    > I've finally got broadband (I'm in the UK so I'm a tad behind but I
    > can't get it to work under Linux - WinXP is OK though.
    >
    > Yast2 confirms that my ethernet card has been configured: it says
    > "nVidia nForce Ethernet Controller configured as eth0 with DHCP"
    >
    > With everything plugged in OK, I try to browse some websites, but all
    > I get is a message saying that I am not connected to the internet/file
    > not found etc. If I ping the IP of my router, I get "Network is
    > unreachable"; ifconfig eth0 says "device not found".
    >
    > I did a bit of checking on various websites and they suggested that I
    > do a "rcnetwork restart". The messages relating to eth0 were:
    > "Shutting down network interfaces: eth0 skipped" and then "Setting up
    > network interfaces: eth0 failed"
    >
    > Can someone suggest what to try next?
    >
    > Many thanks
    >
    > Paul

    http://download.opensuse.org/distrib...D-i386.torrent

    Do not connect suse8.2 to Internet, there is no patches, it's EOL since years.

    /birre

+ Reply to Thread